• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Marker path truncating

Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2016 Nov 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using gotolink/newlink to create custom cross-references. It's working just fine for all but two of my documents (the error message is telling me that the document doesn't exist). Upon inspection, it looks like the "gotolink..." is truncating (omitting characters from) the path. This is my best guess as to why it's not working. The path is, otherwise, precise.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

I bet it's interpreting those "slash O" and "slash T" parts as commands - I think "\t" gets interpreted as a tab; not sure about the other. I think if you search the help, you might find a way to get FM to ignore them as commands in there...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are there any spaces in the path? Is it overly long?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

One of them is quite long, but other isn't as long as some of the paths that are working.

Just about every path I've done has spaces, but none of the marker names have spaces.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you can post screenshots of ones that work vs. the ones that don’t?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To provide more information...

I have a set of documents. Each document's PDF will appear on its own sharepoint page. Linking one document to another is done through a hyperlink to the URL of the PDF/sharepoint page. The documents are also collected into one large PDF. Instead of using the usual cross-reference pod to link between documents in the same book file, I'm using the gotolink/newlink method so I can have custom text for the clickable text. The clickable text is duplicated and conditionalized in this manner "click hereclick here". The first is the hyperlink, the second is the cross-reference. There are dozens of these links throughout the document set. All of which are working, except the two examples below.

This is an example of one that is working as intended:

gotolink ..\05 Low Pressure Delivery Meter Sets\Inspecting Low Pressure Delivery Meter Sets.fm:InspectingLowPressureDeliveryMeterSets

Here are the two examples that are not working (bold indicates the problem area):

This one is supposed to be:

gotolink ..\05 Low Pressure Delivery Meter Sets\Operating and Maintaining Winglock Valves.fm:OperatingAndMaintainingWinglockValves

But is truncating to: (notice the missing "\O")

gotolink ..\05 Low Pressure Delivery Meter Setsperating and Maintaining Winglock Valves.fm:OperatingAndMaintainingWinglockValves

This one is supposed to be:

gotolink ..\13 Tools and Equipment\Tools and Equipment.fm:ToolsAndEquipment

But is truncating to: (notice the missing "\T")

gotolink ..\13 Tools and Equipmentools and Equipment.fm:ToolsAndEquipment

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bet it's interpreting those "slash O" and "slash T" parts as commands - I think "\t" gets interpreted as a tab; not sure about the other. I think if you search the help, you might find a way to get FM to ignore them as commands in there...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In every marker content you need to double EVERY backslash in the path. Then it works.

This is because you can use backslash here to also use special characters (i.e. non-breaking space)

.\\05 Low Pressure Delivery Meter Sets\\Operating and Maintaining Winglock

instead of

.\05 Low Pressure Delivery Meter Sets\Operating and Maintaining Winglock

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff, thanks Klaus!

That seems to have been the cause. I guess I didn't think it would take on the slash commands in the marker text field.

I'll update if anything else comes up, but it's working so far.

Much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There’s all sorts of “special sauce” inside marker text ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines