• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing Chapter or File, Same Approx Day, and Time Every Week

New Here ,
Sep 12, 2016 Sep 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a very unusual problem. The last three Fridays around 3pm or so, when I get ready to go home for  the day, I try to save my work. I get the FrameMaker window that says the file name does not exist. I look in the folder and the file is gone. I put an IT ticket in. I come in on Monday, the file is back in the correct location, and all is well. The next Friday the same problem occurs, same time, and day of the week. I asked a senior IT support person to check out the problem by coming over to my desk. I take screen-shots of each step as I close out my FM file, and put in another IT ticket. By the time I get ready to go, the file shows up in the folder around 5pm. So I proved, I'm not crazy.....the senior IT person witnesses the problem. The IT group has no real answers. That's two times, two Fridays around the same time. I decided to work off of my laptop desktop. In the preference area of FrameMaker, I had chosen both an Automatic Backup on Save and Auto Save Every 10 minutes options. Last Friday the problem occurred again. I was able to see my file in the book this time and it was locked. There is no other person who is using the file, there are only two writers that have FrameMaker and the second writer is already at home and she uses a different book then me.

When I started here over two months ago the laptop I received, the hard drive was reformatted. The contract company who supports our backups said  "We believe there is two items that were at play here, but only one is the culprit. It is our belief the problem is related to FrameMaker lock files. The lock files are caused by either someone abruptly closing or forgetting the application is still opened and when they logout for the day it crashes the application. FrameMaker recommends that if the program reports a lock that it should follow the procedure below. If the procedure below is not followed the file is removed. Then the DFSR (distributed file system replication) does its job and recreates the missing file by replicating the file from the other server."  The contracting IT person gives an explanation of a lock file, there is no need to add it to this problem description. I do not agree with the explanation, as far as I know no one else is using the file.

My coworker has a laptop of the previous writer who is no longer with the company. I took her place and id from Adobe CC. She said her hard drive was reformatted. With Adobe Creative Cloud we have separate log in ids. Is there a setting in FrameMaker that can be causing this problem? Any suggestions? Can this have anything to do with using the template that was created by the other writer? Thanks, Richard

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2016 Sep 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Think we need more info on where you're storing your FM content - is it on a network drive or is it in some source control system? Are you the only author working on them? If so, you don't really need to have the file locking pref turned on in FM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines