Missing fonts and equations

Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened my documents and got a warning message, "Document named Chapter 2.fm uses unavailable fonts.  To reformat the document using available fonts, click ok." This same document now produces a .pdf file with white boxes instead of equals signs in my equations.  It also changes a few other symbols to white boxes.  I am not sure if these two things are linked but I would like help getting rid of the white boxes and getting my equations back to normal. 

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the equations coming in as a font or images? I'd suggest searching for "unavailable fonts" for methods on fixing them.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been dealing with this same problem for over a month, including spending significant time on the phone/screen sharing with Adobe tech support.

Several other people in my office had the same problem. Then I found one computer in my office that did not have that problem so I copied ALL of the fonts from that machine to my machine and it got rid of the problem.

This is a pretty blunt approach to solving the problem as that machine had 650 MB of fonts. 

I wish I knew (and could tell you) a more precise list of which fonts were missing.  My guess is that it involves fonts with MT in the name.

I hope some can post a better answer.

Good luck!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fred:

The console lists the missing fonts when a file is opened. In 2015 and earlier, the console hides behind the Fm window, Just hover over the Fm icon on the taskbar to see it, In 2017, it's now a dockable pod: View > Pods > Console.

Also helpful for both versions (and a few earlier versions) is View > Pods > Fonts. It lists the fonts in the document and shows an X for missing fonts. As per Jeff, you can use that to update the missing fonts to ones you have. I'll be honest though, sometimes it shows fonts that I can't locate anywhere in the file—and I wish it wouldn't do that—but that happens when I keep using a legacy template in new versions of Fm. When I've had enough, I redesign the template in the newest version with my current fonts and get a few years of relief.

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Thanks for your reply.

I am familiar with the console and don't recall it giving me helpful information.  I had not used the fonts pod before, so thanks for that tip.

I should note that the problem only exists when creating a PDF of a file containing MathML.  It displays OK in the equation editor and the FM interface.

Does the font pod include fonts used to render MathML equations or just the fonts used in the template?

- Keith

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@barbBinder - "...sometimes it shows fonts that I can't locate anywhere in the file..." - one of the tips I heard about font issues was that they can hide inside image files too. So that's another source of "font taint" that can creep in.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, Jeff. I'll keep that in mind the next time it comes up and will report back. In the middle of an InDesign job so I can't even remember if there were images in the file when it came up in FrameMaker recently.

Keith, glad I could help draw your attention to the Font Pod (and there's a button in that pod to open the Replace Font pod). The two work together. However, I don't use MathML so I don't know about the fonts. Are you able to specify font when you create the equations?

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb,

Typically in MathML you just specify default or sans-serif, however there is a way to specify a specific font.  My impression is that only applies to letters and numbers, not symbols (division, multiplication, sigma, brackets, etc.), which is where the problem is.

Once you create a PDF you can see what fonts are being used (or try to be used) by right-clicking on the document, choosing properties, and then look in the font tab. I have yet to find the smoking gun using this information.

- Keith

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fred, are you working with unstructured docs?

MathML is a structured markup language for equations, so specifying formatting within the equation itself (rather than by redefining the content model might be problematic.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matt,

We only use dita (structured).  We don't use the feature to specify a specific font. We do specify sans-serif, but I have replicated the same defect without using sans-serif.

- Keith

PS. Does my profile show up as Fred?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2018-01-23 07.57.41.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, good to know. Have you tried saving DITA as Fm components prior to PDF?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, no difference as FM components.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you confirm that you aren't masking a Missing Fonts message in the preferences and that the Console is not providing information about missing fonts and resources?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matt,

Under Alerts in preferences "File contains unavailable fonts" was NOT checked.  I just checked it.

I can't test the error easily as my machine works now (mentioned many posts above). But I will remember this when I work on someone else's computer who still has this problem (several people where I work).

Thanks,

Fred

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind, I see in my profile is says screen name: FredDiggerman

I can't see how to change that at the moment.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To fix your username, try logging out of the forum, then log in using a different AdobeID

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Matt,

I don't need another AdobeID in my life so I guess I'll be Fred (short for my middle name).

- Fred

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Adobe ID to change profile, username, email, etc.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect.  Thanks

Fred Keith

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fred Keith: People get so serious on these forums sometimes. I get it—it's about solving professional issues and streamlining workflows so it's serious business. But I love it when someone takes time out to inject a little humor into a thread.

Thanks for that!

~Barbara Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Keith's idea I copied all the fonts from another computer and this get rid of the white boxes in the PDFs.  I still get the message about missing fonts tho, so maybe they are unrelated?  Is there some way to find which font is missing?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look first at the Console pod, then check the Fonts pod after opening.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps Matt's advice to check "File contains unavailable fonts" under Preferences -> Alerts would apply here.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aw, now all your old posts read Keith... Where's the fun in that?!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines