Exit

Nasty behaviour of ESTK

Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

A while ago (2017-01-23) I issued bug report FRMAKER-2240

Although all my scripts include the directive #target framemaker, and it is my habit to first open FM and then ESTK to start a script, the script runs into an error, because ESTK does not look at the directive. It tries to execute the script in ExtendScript Toolkit CC.

The bug report is stil "To track" - imho a lazy excuse. Please vote if you have the same problem with this as I have.

Klaus

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Klaus,

It works for me using ExtendScript Toolkit CC. If the directive is just #target framemaker or #target FrameMaker it does switch from the ESTK to the last used version of FrameMaker. When the FrameMaker version is included like this #target framemaker-14.0 it opens the specific version of FrameMaker. I've tried this with all ExtendScript enabled versions of FrameMaker.

My ESTK is version 4.0.0.1

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Klaus, I haven't seen this problem either. The #target framemaker directive works for me here with 4.0.0.1. -Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well friends, I have tested:

• My ESTK reports: 4.0.0.1 ExtendScript 4.5.5 ScriptUI 6.2.2
  • If FM is not open and I start in ESTK with a script containing the dircetive, then start the script, ESTK is asking me whether it should open FM. After opening FM, the target app is correct in ESTK and the link symbol is green. But this needs to many clicks alltogether. ESTK reports "can not run script" before FM is open...
  • It is my habit, to first open FM, then decide to start ESTK and select a test script with the directive in it. In this case the directive is not honoured and the target app stays on ExtendScript Toolkit CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Klaus,

How are the debugging target interactions set in your ESTK preferences? I have this:

ESTKprefs.png

On my system I changed the Auto Launch Application... from the default value of not selected. Otherwise everything else is as installed.

I only have a problem with the script directive when there is some incompatibility with what the script expects to be available. So, for example if I have a script that expects to work on the current document, but there is no document loaded yet, then yes, the script may fail.

When I run a script with a directive it always just starts the relevant FM version. It just provides a small dialog to cancel the app start.

I never have a problem with the directive not being honoured.

By the way I am running on Windows 10 Pro (10.0.15063) if that is relevant?

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ian,

• My Wndows is 7 x64, but this should not make a difference.
  • Setting "Auto Launch Application..."  (which was not set in my case) did not help either.
  • Neither did #target framemaker-14
  • Nor #target FramMaker
  • File > Scripts > New Script in FM opens ESTK with the proper target selected. hee is no short cut for this route - and requires to open the desired script in ESTK - it does not take the "last used" as it is when starting ESTK standalone.

So still no progress...

Klaus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines