Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New .fm file in book without page break

New Here ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello experts FM,

I have a text issue. I have a book with 10 *.fm files.

I would need the text from different *.fm files to be fluent, without page breaks in between. Is that possible? Is it possible also on older versions, like 8 or 9?

Thank you for your help,

Karen

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

FM file content starts a new page.

The classic work-around is to create a second .book file (let's call it Uniflow.book), in which all the body content (excluding the covers, front matter, TOC, IX, ListsOf, etc.) are all in a single file (perhaps called Body.fm).

Body.fm imports all of its content from the individual chapter files as Text Insets.

Typical Options:
Flow to Import: (●) Body Page Flow: A
Formatting of Imported Flow:
(●) Retain Source's Formatting
Updating of Imported Flow:
(●) Automatic

You

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM file content starts a new page.

The classic work-around is to create a second .book file (let's call it Uniflow.book), in which all the body content (excluding the covers, front matter, TOC, IX, ListsOf, etc.) are all in a single file (perhaps called Body.fm).

Body.fm imports all of its content from the individual chapter files as Text Insets.

Typical Options:
Flow to Import: (●) Body Page Flow: A
Formatting of Imported Flow:
(●) Retain Source's Formatting
Updating of Imported Flow:
(●) Automatic

You edit the chap files, and regen the Uniflow.book file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

thanks a lot for your reply. I have just one more question for the solution you mentioned. From my book (with structured .fm files) I can create 10 different PDFs (using attributes), with the usage of the “filtering” option (I don’t know how is officially called, because we use a plug-in that calls the apps features and it might be renamed).

Is in this case the “filtering” then done on the Body.fm?

At the beginning we were using one book and .fm files with a lot of attributes. Now we have multiple .fm files (split according to the attributes – so that we lowered the complexity within one .fm file) and multiple books.

The reason why we have split the text into multiple books is that the content was so complicated and big, that FrameMaker started crashing all the time. After the split, everything is working fine, but we have a page break in front of subtitles.

Thank you again for your help,

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Text Insets, Structured FM and "attributes"

I've never used Structured FM, so have no experience with TIs in that context.

I don't know what an attribute might be, and since you're using a plug-in, it might be anything.

But on the off chance that TIs are easy to do in StrucFM, and the plug-in is just messing with Conditional Text, I can report that Conditional Text in Text Insets does work (the conditional settings for the file or book containing the Text Inset do control the display of TI content).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

again thank you for your time and support. Unfortunately I would please ask for just a few more guidelines.

I made a book with an inset text file (Body.fm) and everything works well when/after I update it, but when I close FM and re-open it, the PDF doesn’t have the desired heading structure. I would need to update it manually each time. The settings are on “Automatic” and as you mentioned above.

Do you have any idea how to make the update without opening the .fm file, double clicking it and updating it?

Or maybe I am setting the headings wrong in the original files?

I have a description below.

Thanks,

Karen

Structure with unwanted page breaks before the heading2 .fm files:

frontCover.fm

TOC.fm 1.fm   – set the first chapter as Heading1

1.1.fm   – set the first chapter as Heading2

1.2.fm   – set the first chapter as Heading2

2.fm   – set the first chapter as Heading1

backCover.fm

Structure with inset text file:

frontCover.fm

TOC.fm

Body.fm   (inset text file = 1.fm + 1.1.fm + 1.2.fm)

2.fm

backCover.fm

The headings like I would like them:

front cover

------------- page break

TOC

------------- page break

------------- page break

------------- page break

back cover

The headings with unwanted page breaks:

------------- page break

------------- page break

------------- page break

The headings with Body.fm:

2  (should be 1.1 and after the manual update it works)

3  (should be 1.2 and after the manual update it works)

------------- page break

4  (should be 2 and after the manual update it works)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the Pagination properties for the various Headings?

If set to Start ... Page, that will be honored inside the Text Inset. It needs to be "Anywhere".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

is "Anywhere" on all the headings.

heading.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try turning off that:
Keep With:

• Next Pgf
  • and see what happens. If the heading floats back to where you want it, study the Keeps on subsequent paras, as they may be dragging the heading to a new page.

Separately, I don't know what you mean exactly by "manual update".

Drifting further along, when I use Text Insets, it's been my practice, perhaps needlessly, to always re-Update the book twice, due to being uncertainty that FM's dependency logic catches everything. Image the case of a Text Inset containing another TI that contains another TI, this last containing Xrefs to some other TI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    New Here ,
    May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Bob,

thank you a lot for your patience and help. I made everything work fine with inset, but inside the PDF the links didn’t work. The files I need to “change” are in FM8 and I read that from FM10 on the links in the inset work (for earlier versions not).

So not much I can do here. Thank you again and I wish you a nice time

Thank you again and I wish you a nice time  

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines