Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Non-breaking hypens in variable turn to "+" when updating variable

Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2016 Jun 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been using Frame forever, and I've had version 12 (12.0.4.445) for a long while.  When I first enter "\x15" in a variable, everything works correctly.  When I click Update in the variable dialog box, "\x15" is replaced by "\+" in the variable definition and, in the body text, the hyphen is there and it is non-breaking.  Everything looks good.

But, if I click Update a second time, the hyphen is replace by "+" in the body text.  No hyphen.  The variable definition still appears as "\+".  Why is it suddenly treating "\+" as a literal plus symbol in text and how do I make it stop?

Thanks,

--Jeff Gansberg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 28, 2016 Jun 28, 2016

Hi Jeff:

For what it's worth, I can replicate the issue on Fm 2015—so the answer isn't "upgrade".

As a work around, if I update a variable with \+ in it, retyping either the \ or the + and updating again takes care of it. Until I update again. Not fun, but at least there is a workaround.

I'd recommend reporting it to Adobe: Feature Request/Bug Report Form .

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2016 Jun 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff:

For what it's worth, I can replicate the issue on Fm 2015—so the answer isn't "upgrade".

As a work around, if I update a variable with \+ in it, retyping either the \ or the + and updating again takes care of it. Until I update again. Not fun, but at least there is a workaround.

I'd recommend reporting it to Adobe: Feature Request/Bug Report Form .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2016 Jun 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Barb.  I have reported it as a bug, so I'll mark this as answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2016 Jun 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder what the MIF looks like before and after the work-around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob.

The workaround Barb offered is actually a repair that puts the non-breaking hyphen back in place.  The problem reappears whenever you click Update twice, even after the repair.

Maybe I missed your point, but I don't see any difference after a mif wash.  This seems to be the tool going overboard for putting a "+" in the variable definition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

re: Maybe I missed your point, but I don't see any difference after a mif wash.

I didn't suggest a MIF wash. I was just wondering what the MIF looked like before and after FM12 or later trashed it.

Classically, the MIF for this special character is "\x15 " (with a trailing space).

A sample variable called NBH would look like this:

<VariableFormat
  <VariableName `NBH'>
  <VariableDef `\x15 '>
> # end of VariableFormat

For some special characters, a work-around is to use the equivalent Unicode in \u#### notation. I wonder if \u2011 would work (and be honored as an NBH by FM).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines