Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Non-Sequential Page Numbering

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I'm developing a book in FrameMaker, and I have an insert to put in between pages 12 and 13. The page numbers of the insert are 12A and 12B, and then I want the document to resume numbering at 13. Currently I am using the pagenum feature from Insert>Headers & Footers>Page Number. However, after pages 12A and 12B, the page number feature numbers the next page as page 15.... how do I get it to resume counting at 13?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

If the page inserts are in separate files and you are adding these to the book, then Barb's suggestion is the way to go. However, if these inserts are in an existing file, then FM will just keep track of the actual pages present. There is an old feature that has been deprecated (but still present) called Freeze Pagination explicitly for this purpose. However, it was quirky and converts the document to a series of disconnected pages.  You could try it on a copy of your file to see how it works fo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click page 15 > Numbering & Section Options and then set Start Page Numbering to 13.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the page inserts are in separate files and you are adding these to the book, then Barb's suggestion is the way to go. However, if these inserts are in an existing file, then FM will just keep track of the actual pages present. There is an old feature that has been deprecated (but still present) called Freeze Pagination explicitly for this purpose. However, it was quirky and converts the document to a series of disconnected pages.  You could try it on a copy of your file to see how it works for you. It is triggered by a keyboard shortcut: esc p z.

See also thread: Point pages in FrameMaker 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dog gone it. I thought this question was in the InDesign forum and gave an InDesign answer. (I'm still at the Creative Cloud  conference where I'm totally immersed in the CC apps).

Please disregard my earlier answer. Point pages as described by Arnis are your best bet.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines