• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Object Style Image Border does not resize to each new image

Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to create a 1pt frame border around my Framemaker book images.  I created an Object Style for an image and named the Object Style: Image Border. I applied the border from the Object Style Catalog (Image Border) to the image I created the Object Style from and the border applied just fine.  I clicked on a second image, applied Image Border to it, and the image resizes to the size of the original image that I created Image Border from.  I need to find out how the Object Style Image Border resizes when applied to each new image, instead of resizing exactly to the same dimensions as the orginal image every other time.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Modify the object style:

• Remove the width and height values (leave blank)
  • Set the resolution for the images. 

~Barb

object style.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Modify the object style:

• Remove the width and height values (leave blank)
  • Set the resolution for the images. 

~Barb

object style.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This correct answer does not work for me. I remove the height and width. Click Save.

2021-04-08_10-09-24.png

FM removes the Object Style name (MyObjectStyle).

2021-04-08_10-10-17.png

Click on another figure. Select MyObjectStyle.

The Object Style properties have not been retained.

The height and width change to a size I do not want. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per the Correct Answer:

The first bullet is straightforward enough. Remove the height and width.

I am not seeing where Resolution is part of any of the tabs (Dimensions, Stroke, Fill, etc.) in the Object Properties dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Background: I am using FM version 16.0.1 with all updates applied. Unstructured.

The second bullet in the Correct Answer says set Resolution for images.

I am fine with the Resolution. Object Style Designer->Graphics Tab->Resolution->As Is

The issue: FM removes the Scaling and does not apply the Object Style.

Here is the scenario:

In the Object Properties dialog box, select MyObjectStyle->click Apply.

Or

In the Object Style Designer dialog box->Graphics tab select MyObjectStyle->click either Update All or Save.

In either case, two events occur:

• FM removes the Object Style name
  • FM removes the Scaling

I can return the Scaling percentage to 88.75% but FM does not apply MyObjectStyle.

Images showing both scenarios below. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Figure 1.png

Figure 2.png

Figure 3.png

Figure 4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Matt5FA9:

Sorry about the delay. We are volunteers here and I've been wrapped up in work as humans are suddenly emerging from their COVID haze. I was hoping someone else would step in, but, they didn't so... here we go.

Object styles (OS) in FrameMaker are both powerful and flaky. I would recommend just starting with a brand new style. Take your time and define it correctly from the beginning. From your string, I gather you need a border around varying sized frames with varying resolutions. Select the frame (not the image inside) and define the border and then open Object > Object Style Designer. In Dimensions, leave the W and H blank. In Graphics, leave Scaling Percentage blank, and leave the resolution as As Is. You can review the border in the Stroke and Fill categories (Fill is where the color is defined). Once it looks right, then give it a name, choose Save (inexplicably the name disappears) and then Close. The new style will appear in the OS Catalog but it will not be assigned to anything, including the selected frame. 

os1.png

Assign it to the selected frame. Then assign it to the other frames. 

os2.png

You can modify an existing OS—that's the point of using them—but you (and by you, I mean me) have to really pay close attention to be successful. I need to give OSs my full attention when designing styles in my documents and when teaching them in class. They don't conform to how the other Designers work, and one misstep will derail the process. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Barb, 
Thank you for your response.  This is a detailed and thoughtful explanation to the issue I was having.
As you correctly diagnosed, one of the issues was that I was selecting the image, not the frame. When I did select the frame, then followed your instructions regarding the Dimensions, Stroke, and Fill selections in the Object Style Designer, everything fell into place.

Here is some additional detail to add to this issue:

• In Object Style Designer, be aware that the Object Style Name appears at the bottom, not the top.  The only visual indicator that no styles exist is a blue bar running along the bottom of the Object Style dropdown box. 

Matt5FA9_0-1621627466560.png

• Do not apply the Object Style from the Object Properties. Only apply from the Object Style Catalog.
  • For larger documents, create the Object Style once. Use Import Formats to import that object style into other sections. Unlike existing object styles, the newly imported style appears without a checkmark.

Matt5FA9_1-1621627466564.png

• Object frame may need to be re-sized to match the image.
  • Image spacing may need to be adjusted to account for updated border.

Thanks again.

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines