• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

observations about the upgrade

Advisor ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing FM19 took weeks, with lots of exchanges between our local IT support and Adobe: I felt it shouldn't have. Now I'm daringly trying to install the latest upgrade, and two things I remember from the original FM19 install are as bad as they ever were. Thing the first, the download speed is impossibly slow; after about fifteen minutes the progress bar shows around 6% and the promise '16 to 18 minutes to go' … and stays there. I cancelled after a couple of hours. Thing the second, an error message at the start about a conflict between FM and the Character Map application, when then app isn't even open. Solved this one by launching the upgrader, opening the app myself and closing the app again.

Next move, ask local IT support to download the upgrader for me: but why should I need to do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like there are some specific issues unique to your environment - I haven't heard of any issues with downloading FM2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I suspect the speed (or lack of it!) it could be something to do with corporate firewall settings, but that doesn't explain the Character map conflict. Local support downloaded the updater (which is not labelled 'updater', but never mind) and sent it to me. This time it ran rather faster, indeed, until somewhere around 90% where it reported it was unable to delete a FrameMaker- specific file somewhere in the install folders … once again, manual intervention solved the problem but left me a little unhappy about the lack of robustness.

Anyway, update now installed: time to check what improvements it has brought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines