Highlighted

old FrameMaker version won't run after trial evaluation

Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I hope there is an easy fix to this because otherwise I am stuck. I have been using FrameMaker v8 for years and it has survived several changes of PC and several Windows upgrades. I understand that FM8 is not officially supported on Windows 10, nevertheless after upgrading my laptop to Windows 10 in 2016 Framemaker 8 continued to run without issues.

This month I installed the evaluation copy of Framemaker 2017 and used it for 30 days. When the trial period finished and I uninstalled FM2017 my copy of FM8 would not run. I have tried a repair install, and an uninstall followed by full reinstall, and it still will not run. Task Manager shows a FrameMaker v8 process running but it is using no resources and doing absolutely nothing.

Has anyone any ideas where I could look to fix this? Adobe support haven't (yet) refused to help completely but they have said that FM 8 is not supported on Win 10 so I should expect problems. But it was running on Win 10 perfectly happily for over a year, so I'd rather not be fobbed off.

Thanks in advance

T

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

old FrameMaker version won't run after trial evaluation

Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I hope there is an easy fix to this because otherwise I am stuck. I have been using FrameMaker v8 for years and it has survived several changes of PC and several Windows upgrades. I understand that FM8 is not officially supported on Windows 10, nevertheless after upgrading my laptop to Windows 10 in 2016 Framemaker 8 continued to run without issues.

This month I installed the evaluation copy of Framemaker 2017 and used it for 30 days. When the trial period finished and I uninstalled FM2017 my copy of FM8 would not run. I have tried a repair install, and an uninstall followed by full reinstall, and it still will not run. Task Manager shows a FrameMaker v8 process running but it is using no resources and doing absolutely nothing.

Has anyone any ideas where I could look to fix this? Adobe support haven't (yet) refused to help completely but they have said that FM 8 is not supported on Win 10 so I should expect problems. But it was running on Win 10 perfectly happily for over a year, so I'd rather not be fobbed off.

Thanks in advance

T

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 30, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry that you're a case study as to why you should never load trials or betas on your production environment (and always work with a copy of your actual docs). I suspect that you will have to employ a scrubber like revouninstaller to strip out all mention of Adobe off your machine and then reinstall it. Do you have a system restore point from before installing the trial? You may find that's easier to do.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 30, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try removing the prefs from your Roaming directory. Here's the path on my machine:

C:\Users\Matt\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\FrameMaker\14

While you're at it, rename your 8 dir to something like 8-previous

If that doesn't work, make sure you have your Fm 8 serial number handy, then double-check both copies of your Fm 8 maker.ini for serial number info and remove references.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 30, 2017 0