Highlighted

OLE – how to root out this pernicious practice

Advisor ,
Aug 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

aaaaaaaargh …… Just received a document with a number of diagrams that need updating: imagine my distress at discovering they are OLE links to Visio files … I do have Visio, but absolutely no idea of how to open the diagram that I see in my FM10 document in Visio. Is this remotely possible, am I better off saving the document as .pdf and trying to rescue the graphics with Illustrator, or is there some better approach I haven't thought of?

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

OLE – how to root out this pernicious practice

Advisor ,
Aug 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

aaaaaaaargh …… Just received a document with a number of diagrams that need updating: imagine my distress at discovering they are OLE links to Visio files … I do have Visio, but absolutely no idea of how to open the diagram that I see in my FM10 document in Visio. Is this remotely possible, am I better off saving the document as .pdf and trying to rescue the graphics with Illustrator, or is there some better approach I haven't thought of?

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 28, 2015 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have Visio installed, then just double-clicking on the OLE embedded graphic should open it in Visio.

FM stores a WMF (or is it EMF now? I forget)  representation internally, so this could be copied into Illustrator for editing as well, but some items, such as text, will come in as vectors.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2015 0
Advisor ,
Aug 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah, that wonderful word "should" … I'll try again and report back, but as far as I remember the familiar double-click did nothing useful.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 31, 2015 0