• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening .fm file from 2018 crashes Framemaker 2019

New Here ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In opening a small file (2 page letter) that was created two years ago, caused Framemaker 2019 to crash back to the desktop (I tried to attach the file but when I clicked 'Post' it got stripped out, saying the file doesn't match its file extension). Several other files from the same time period cause the same behavior. The file header says <MakerFile 12.0>

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there are any imported objects in the .fm document, try copying the file to some other directory, and see if it opens there.

You could also download a trial copy of FM2020 (perhaps on another machine), and see if that does the trick, and if so…

Not that it's of much help now, but I make a point, on wrapping up any document or project, of re-saving all the .fm files as .mif. This is mostly in case they need to be opened with a prior version, but it does provide a Plan B for when a newer version won't open it either. If the FM2020 trick works, save as MIF from it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

If the first line of the file says <MakerFile 12.0>, then the version with which this file was last saved is FrameMaker 12. Still FrameMaker 2019 or 2020 (as Bob suggested) should not crash!

If you cannot open the file also with FM 2020 and after restarting Windows and FrameMaker, you might try "heroic open".

Here are some infos about it:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/framemaker/a-strong-quot-last-sttraw-quot-heroic-open/m-p/11432155?pa...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/framemaker/i-could-not-open-the-fm-file/m-p/10511995?page=1#M61638

There this command is explained. When you can open the file, then I would copy the content into a new file.

Additionally save the file which you opened heroically as MIF, open the MIF and save as FM again. (MIF wash, also explained in the posts above.)

Good luck.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines