• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pagination issues in FrameMaker 2020

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently have a book file set up that contains a book file for each chapter, then document files for each section within the chapter. I have the pagination set so that the first file for each book starts on the Right page (double-sided, delete empty pages) and the following files use Next Available. However, when I generate my PDF, the chapters are starting on the next available page, rather than adding in a blank page where needed so that they always start on the right. Is there a setting in the main book that I'm missing to get this to happen? I have also tried setting the first file to Read from File, but that hasn't worked either.

First file settings:

Snag_4858a14.png

 

TOPICS
Error , Formatting and numbering , PDF output

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Are you changing the Pagination settings at the book or document level? Right-click on the components in the book window and choose Pagination and set them at the book level. Update the book. Does that work?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast , Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

For all chapters starting on the right side you'll also need to set "Before Saving & Printing" to an even number of pages, not to "Delete Empty Pages". The latter contradicts the 1st page setting "Right", if the page is empty.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you changing the Pagination settings at the book or document level? Right-click on the components in the book window and choose Pagination and set them at the book level. Update the book. Does that work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, should have mentioned. I am already changing it at the book level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For all chapters starting on the right side you'll also need to set "Before Saving & Printing" to an even number of pages, not to "Delete Empty Pages". The latter contradicts the 1st page setting "Right", if the page is empty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My "chapters" are actually book files with document files for each section. That setting adds blank pages in between sections, which I don't want. If I set just the last file in the book, it makes it even whether I need the blank page or not, so same issue that sometimes the following chapter (book) ends up on the left page because an extra page was added to make the last section even when it already ended on a left page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find a solution to your problem? If so could you please share it here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

The instructions above are still correct and should work:

In the book file right-click on a file and change the pagination settings to those in the screenshot.

Update the book.

Delete empty pages is correct. I use this all the time.

What could change the behaviour:

When your starting paragraph is set to start on an even or uneven page.

When the main text frame on the last page of a file is changed manually, then this page cannot be deleted automatically. Then there might be more blank pages than needed.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines