• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paragraph text not showing up in TOC

Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FrameMaker Release 2019, version 15.0.2.503.

I've inherited a document, and having one hiccup on TOC generation.  One particular paragraph style is not showing up.

The paragraph style that is not showing up is called "Heading 3E". It is listed as included on the setup TOC window.  I don't know enough about this book file and the chapters to know where to look next.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Hi Andrew:

Thank you for sharing the file with me.

You are right about the reference pages—there are over two pages of TOC paragraph tags. I can't tell if you need all of them for the whole book—if so, keep them—but for the section you sent me you are only using three tags: Heading1TOC, Heading2 TOC and Heading 3ETOC. All those TOC paragraphs made it difficult to pinpoint the problem so I changed the Heading 3ETOC to Magenta:

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 2.29.01 PM.png

This also changes the color on the reference pages and sure enough, the b

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AndSpence:

I suspect empty ¶s tagged as Heading 3E. Please examine pages 61-1 through 61-3 for empty returns. Turn on View > Show Text Symbols Type > Show Hidden Characters. When you find them, remove them and update the TOC.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb -

I can't quite figure out how to turn on Show Hidden Characters.  I think I am missing something from "Turn on Type > Show Hidden Characters"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AndSpence:

My apologies! I hop around different forums and thought this was an InDesign question.

Same answer though, except it's View > Show Text Symbols.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, I'm still not seeing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AndSpence:

Your text symbols are already showing. So just comb through pages 61-1 and 61-3 to find two empty ¶s—they will be after Description and Operation and before Maintenance and Inspection Schedule—and they may be consecutive, or not. If you still don't see them, you could share a screen shot of each of those three pages and we can look for them, or share the document on dropbox.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will the empty ¶ have the Heading 3E paragraph style?    There were two empty ¶'s but both were tagged "Body", I deleted them and have the same results.

I'm thoroughly confused by this TOC's reference page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AndSpence:

Yes, they would be tagged Heading 3E.

Let's try this: Control Alt click on the first empty ¶ in the TOC and see if it will hyperlink you to the source paragraph.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And AndSpence, I'm happy to take a look at the files if you would like.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sending you an email now Barb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it does hyperlink me to the source paragraph, both 1.0 and 2.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew:

So those empty paragraphs do link you to content in the source documents? Are they the empty paragraphs?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.  The source paragraphs are not empty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check your reference page to be sure it was included there? Because to me, it looks as if it's missing the building blocks required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<looks at pictures some more> No, you've got it showing just above where items aren't showing up. Barb is no doubt correct. You've probably got empty paragraphs tagged with that style.

You could also try searching for Heading 3E using the Find/Change > Paragraph Tag function. If it stops on an empty line, you'll know you've found it and can either delete the line or retag it to something that isn't included in the TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew:

Thank you for sharing the file with me.

You are right about the reference pages—there are over two pages of TOC paragraph tags. I can't tell if you need all of them for the whole book—if so, keep them—but for the section you sent me you are only using three tags: Heading1TOC, Heading2 TOC and Heading 3ETOC. All those TOC paragraphs made it difficult to pinpoint the problem so I changed the Heading 3ETOC to Magenta:

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 2.29.01 PM.png

This also changes the color on the reference pages and sure enough, the building blocks were missing from Heading 3ETOC—which is the first entry at the top page Reference page TOC (1 of 11).

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 2.29.16 PM.png

Copy them from another entry:

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 2.29.51 PM.png

And update your book:

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 2.30.21 PM.png

Of course, the magenta is just to help you follow my trail. When you fix your file, you can leave everything black.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Barb!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Always happy to help, Andrew.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines