• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF bookmarks are not indented correctly

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2016 Apr 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a single, small unstructured FrameMaker 2015 document. When I generate a PDF, the bookmarks are not indented correctly.

The document has headings in this order:

Level 1

Level 5

Level 5

Level 4

Level 5

Level 5

My PDF bookmark settings are:

Level 1

. Level 2

.. Level 4

... Level 5

When I generate a PDF, I get the following:

Level 1

Level 2

Level 5

Level 5

Level 4

Level 5

Level 5

It is indenting relatively, treating level 4 as another level 5 and then further indenting the level 5s that belong under the level 4.

Anyone ever see this before? Any suggestions for fixing (short of changing the order of the headings)?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 04, 2016 Apr 04, 2016

It's a design problem. You'll have to either manually adjust the PDF bookmarks using Acrobat or come up with different paratags and levels to not break the implicit structure. Have a hard look at the semantic meaning of the paratags that you're using in case there may be alternatives for the Level 5 in the location that you placed them. Also what happened to Level 3 and how will that work in the bookmarks when it gets used somewhere in your documentation?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Examine the PDF Setup for the Book file. This controls the Bookmark levels and indents as specified by the spaces in front of the paratags on the left side. The book settings override any individual file settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PDF setup for the book is exactly the same as for the file. The problem occurs at the book level and also occurs if I create a PDF for the chapter itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are all of the paratag used for the bookmarks in the same text flow? FM processes the contents of the flows in creation order, i.e. Flow A, then Flow B, etc.

Also, are you all patched up for FM2015? There have been two patches released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We only have a single text flow (Flow A) and yes, I am up to date on FM 2015 (at 13.0.2.433).

This is very perplexing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are any of the paratags used in the bookmarks located within tables?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, no tables.

I even made a very short (3 pages) test file and the issue seems to be the order of the levels, a (Level 1, 5, 4).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot of your PDF Setup > Bookmarks tab?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed that in your initial post, the structure of your levels is broken, as you have no parent level 4 for the two level 5 paratags. IIRC, in that situation FM has to place the child levels at the parent level. Even though you are using unstructured FM, many of the features behave in a structured fashion. When you skip levels with your headings, you are breaking the perceived logical structure for the reader/user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you are correct that we broke the 'logical order' of headings but sometimes we need to do that. In my example above, sometimes we need to use Level 5 just to have a heading in the normal flow of text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a design problem. You'll have to either manually adjust the PDF bookmarks using Acrobat or come up with different paratags and levels to not break the implicit structure. Have a hard look at the semantic meaning of the paratags that you're using in case there may be alternatives for the Level 5 in the location that you placed them. Also what happened to Level 3 and how will that work in the bookmarks when it gets used somewhere in your documentation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did end up adjusting the heading levels in the chapter and it is okay now but I really don't agree that I should have HAD to do that. FrameMaker/Acrobat should just use my settings as is. This is very Microsoft-like of them, adjusting the settings to the way they think they should behave!!!

BTW, we don't actually have a Level 3 anymore; we did away with it awhile ago.

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pdf setup.gifbookmarks.gif

I attached both the Bookmarks tab and the bookmarks pane from the PDF. I included paragraph tags to make it easier to see...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Arnis_Gubins kindly provide me the correct solution for the mentioned issue in attachment 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Arnis retired from the FM forums awhile ago. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines