• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Perpetual Licenses for FrameMaker and TCS

Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2019 Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over on the Framers email list, a user has reported a rumor that Adobe is going to discontinue support for perpetual licenses for FrameMaker and move to a subscription-only plan, as it has with Creative Cloud.

I responded that I thought they were confusing FrameMaker/Technical Communications Suite with the Creative Cloud apps, but also said I'd check here to be certain.

So to clarify:

1. Is Adobe planning to move to a subscription-only pricing plan for FrameMaker?
  2. Is Adobe planning to move to a subscription-only pricing plan for the Technical Communications Suite and all its apps?
  3. If Adobe is planning to keep both the perpetual license model and the subscription model for TCS, what version of Acrobat is going to be included for its next release, since Acrobat is now subscription only and the version in the current version of TCS is frozen?

(Lynne Price suggested that I start a new thread for this so it doesn't get confused with the earlier question about whether or not Adobe is continuing support and development of FrameMaker.)

TOPICS
Installation and licensing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Adobe Technical Communication line of products: ASA or M&S perpetual channel licensing plans discontinued worldwide from 1 July 2019 

This is to announce that, as of 1 July 2019, Adobe Software Assurance (ASA) or Maintenance and Support (M&S) perpetual channel licensing plans (new & renewal) are being discontinued worldwide for the following products:

1. Adobe Technical Communication Suite
  2. Adobe FrameMaker
  3. Adobe FrameMaker Publishing Server
  4. Adobe RoboHelp
  5. Adobe RoboHelp Server

Customers will still be abl

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

linsims Since you did a manual "branch" of your post already (lol), I deleted your original post over on that other thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I certainly hope the perpetual licenses continue. There have been some significant changes to FM in the last few releases (such as the menu reorganization in FM 2017) and upgrading can be a significant retraining cost for an organization with a large number of writers. Companies schedule upgrades based on technical requirements and staff availability, and not on a renewal schedule.

As a consultant, I have customers using numerous versions of FM. I need to continue to have outdated versions around even if it's only to answer questions about different results between new and old versions.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two customers using Frame 2019, one has a serial number, and the other has been set up with named users, so I guess at least for 2019, both perpetual and subscription are available. For myself I have a subscription, paid monthly. I would have to say that there is no difference to Frame 2019 between perpetual and subscription, as in updating and installation is all manual.

I suggest you ping TCS support tcssup@adobe.com to get a definitive answer, hopefully.

Jon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Technical Communication line of products: ASA or M&S perpetual channel licensing plans discontinued worldwide from 1 July 2019 

This is to announce that, as of 1 July 2019, Adobe Software Assurance (ASA) or Maintenance and Support (M&S) perpetual channel licensing plans (new & renewal) are being discontinued worldwide for the following products:

1. Adobe Technical Communication Suite
  2. Adobe FrameMaker
  3. Adobe FrameMaker Publishing Server
  4. Adobe RoboHelp
  5. Adobe RoboHelp Server

Customers will still be able to purchase perpetual licenses of all the above-mentioned products through Channel (Adobe authorized resellers) under Transactional Licensing Program (TLP) and Cumulative Licensing Program (CLP) even after 1 July 2019. Customers who are currently enrolled for Adobe Software Assurance (ASA) or Maintenance and Support (M&S) plans for any of the above-mentioned products will continue to avail of all the benefits for these programs till the expiry date of the current contract.

Additionally, customers will still be able to purchase Gold Support for the perpetual licenses of all the above-mentioned products. More details on Gold Support can be found here.

Details on the various enterprise buying programs can be found here.

If you have any questions, please feel to reach us at techcomm@adobe.com.

Thanks
Amitoj Singh, Product Manager, Adobe Technical Communication Tools

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2019 Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I'm missing something, which is entirely possible because I don't speak legal or corporate very well, but aren't all of the programs you mention (ASA, M&S, CLP, and TLP, aimed at companies buying licenses and support in bulk? How does this affect companies buying, say, fewer than 5 licenses, or those of us who purchase products as individuals?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lin

The above announcement would not impact :

a) individual (retail) perpetual users

b) users who have bought licenses in a difference licensing program than those mentioned above

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Amitoj Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand you correctly, what you are saying is that perpetual licenses will remain available for individuals and for companies buying in either small quantities or in bulk, but that the companies buying in bulk will have to move to a different type of licensing program to continue buying perpetual licenses in bulk if they were previously buying through ASA and M&S.

Thank you for your patience in explaining.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe FrameMaker (2019 release)-Buying Guide

has those details linsims

It is difficult to define small quantities as a term. Best to use the buying guide above as reference point

Thanks

Amitoj Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2019 Jun 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amitoj, I know that pricing is in the competence of others than You...

I find it awfully discriminating, that I in Switzerland would have to pay 50% more (CHF 1500) than a US customer (999 USD) with the current exchange rate of 0.99 CHF/USD.

IMHO this big difference can never be explained by localisation cost - The English version costs me the same as the German or French version (which, ahem, is in the same installation package).

This is hefty as I still am 'consulting', albeit not for money any more...

Only as beta testers we have special conditions - but only for the current version as long the the beta test program runs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please disregard the 2 erroneous sentences above: Additionally, customers will still be able to purchase Gold Support for the perpetual licenses of all the above-mentioned products. More details on Gold Support can be found here.

Correct message: Starting 1 July 2019, even Gold Support for perpetual licenses of all the above-mentioned Tech Comm products would be discontinued worldwide. More details can be found here.

Thanks

Amitoj Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Amitoj,

Thanks for your attempts to clearly state the licensing options, however the link you posted goes to a TCS support general page, which does not seem to be too helpful?

I received an email from Adobe about TCS pricing that links to https://www.adobe.com/au/products/technicalcommunicationsuite/buying-guide.html (Oz region) that discusses both subscription and perpetual licensing for both individuals and enterprises. This is a step in the right direction with clear options on the choices available, in my opinion.

I am grateful I only have to deal with the individual licensing options.

Jon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines