• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PNG images not displaying properly when generating a PDF in FrameMaker 2019

Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded from FrameMaker 2017 to the TCS suite (FrameMaker 2019). I have a couple of documents that were created using older versions of FrameMaker and that contain png images. These images have always displayed just fine when generating the PDF output. Now that I am using FrameMaker 2019, some of the png images appear completely black (they have a transparent background) in the generated PDF. The images look fine when I'm in FrameMaker itself. This does not occur with all of my png images. I can't figure out what is different between the affected files and the files that are generated correctly.

Has anybody else seen this issue or have any ideas how to fix it?

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering , PDF output

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, my version of FM is 15.0.4.751. All transparent PNG images have a black background if I generate a Responsive HTML-5 output. They look fine when I generate a PDF, but when I generate HTML documentation they look like this:

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AntonTyupin,

When you convert to HTML5, what's your graphics format? Default is JPG.

In the folder with the assets there are the converted graphics files. How do these look like, when you open them with your graphics editor or viewer?

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Winfried, as I said above, my graphics format is PNG. I need my icons to be transparent because the text background is not always white (as in the snapshot I have attached in my message above). So after I convert to HTML5 all the images in the assets folder have a black backgound instead of transparent. If I open it with a graphics viewer it looks like an image with a black background and there is a white frame around it which is probably the FM anchored frame:

Capture.PNG

And this is the original image:

masterActions.png

And this is how it looks like in the FM project:

Capture.PNG

And then in HTML5 all the backgounds are suddenly black 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AntonTyupin,

I just had a png file with transparency, and several of my graphics viewer (IrfanView) showed the transparent parts as black. Other viewers show white and some show the correct transparency.

When you say that your graphics viewer shows a white line around the graphics, does this mean that your graphics were converted to another format? Otherwise there shouldn't be any line.

Or are they unchanged in the HTML5 asset folder?

How do the graphics in the HTML5 asset folder look like, when you open them with your graphics editor (Illustrator, Corel Photo-Paint, etc.)? Is there still the transparency?

How is your PNG file shown, when you open it in your browser? I noticed that Firefox shows the transparency as white, Internet Explorer shows black. Possibly it's just a limitation of the viewer?

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. When you say that your graphics viewer shows a white line around the graphics, does this mean that your graphics were converted to another format?

- Exactly, all the transparent PNG files are converted to PNG images with a black backgound (not transparent) and there is a tiny white frame around each image. I checked that in a graphics editor. It's black non-transparent background.

E.g.

Capture11.PNG

2. How is your PNG file shown, when you open it in your browser? I noticed that Firefox shows the transparency as white, Internet Explorer shows black.

- Right, the original PNG is opened with a white bg in Firefox and with a black bg in IrfanView, but that's not the reason for my problem. My problem is that FM turns transparent PNGs into non-transparent ones!

And here's what it does with a small transparent info icon.

The original before HTML-5 conversion in FM2019:

Capture0.PNG

Result after HTML-5 generation in FM2019:

Capture.PNG

The icon has been converted into some mess with a white non-transparent bg! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. When you say that your graphics viewer shows a white line around the graphics, does this mean that your graphics were converted to another format?

- Exactly, all the transparent PNG files are converted to PNG images with a black backgound (not transparent) and there is a tiny white frame around each image. I checked that in a graphics editor. It's black non-transparent background.

E.g.

Capture11.PNG

2. How is your PNG file shown, when you open it in your browser? I noticed that Firefox shows the transparency as white, Internet Explorer shows black.

- Right, the original PNG is opened with a white bg in Firefox and with a black bg in IrfanView, but that's not the reason for my problem. My problem is that FM turns transparent PNGs into non-transparent ones!

And here's what it does with a small transparent info icon.

The original before HTML-5 conversion in FM2019:

Capture0.PNG

Result after HTML-5 generation in FM2019:

Capture.PNG

The icon has been converted into some mess with a white non-transparent bg!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AntonTyupin,

Can you report this as a bug in the Adobe bug tracker (with a link to the discussion here)?

https://tracker.adobe.com/#/home 

Can you send this info also to the Adobe support (with a link to the bug report)?

tcssup@adobe.com 

Possibly they can help you.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having a similar issue but with PDFs inserted as images. When I publish my FM book using Save as PDF from the File menu, I have images that do not display in the output PDF file. If I publish the individual section, then the PDF images display in the individual sections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines