Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Point pages/Freeze pagination

Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

What solution have people come up with to replace FrameMaker's deprecated freeze pagination command? I have a client who needs point pages and I don't know what to suggest. Currently, she is modifying page numbers manually in Acrobat.

Are there any solutions out there that you have found? Scripting?

Or, if you used to use them and now do something else, what did you come up with?

Thanks in advance, 

~Barb

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

I had a cool PointPages plugin years ago that worked around some of the inherent problems with the Freeze Pagination command. The problem with my solution was that you had to follow the steps closely in order to make things work. I had a few clients buy it and use it, but it became somewhat of a support nightmare so I abandoned it. I did have one client that was meticulous with her document set, which was quite large, so I kept a FrameScript version of it going for her until she recently retired

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a cool PointPages plugin years ago that worked around some of the inherent problems with the Freeze Pagination command. The problem with my solution was that you had to follow the steps closely in order to make things work. I had a few clients buy it and use it, but it became somewhat of a support nightmare so I abandoned it. I did have one client that was meticulous with her document set, which was quite large, so I kept a FrameScript version of it going for her until she recently retired.

If you are curious about how it worked, here is a link to the documention: http://www.rickquatro.com/resources/PointPages.pdf 

-Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't worked with point pages at all, but I'm wondering if you could use Frame's folder or group organizational tool to mimic them? Put a folder or group below the original page and figure a way to pass that page number into the file(s) in the folder or group as the first part of the page number, then have a counter variable for the second part to indicate the revision?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

An interesting idea, Lin,

I have put it on my list of possible future projects ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh, I was just about to ask if Freeze Pagination still existed, and if so where to find it; I was directed to this post as I was typing the subject line on mine!

When my shop first adopted FM, back in the mid 90s, that feature was one of the things we were most excited about... but about that time our customers shifted away from requiring slip-in change pages, and we never actually used it.

Now, a quarter century later, thanks to a curiously retro customer requirement, I could actually use it now... and of course, it's gone (probably long gone). T'was ever thus, eh?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dauphin,

I have just tested:

It is still available in FM-16.0.2 (aka 2020), but hidden. With shortcut ESC p, z you get the small dialogue.

See https://www.daube.ch/docu/files/compendium.pdf#page=319 .

HTH Klaus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines