• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preview FrameMaker Thumbnails in Windows Explorer

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I preview FrameMaker thumbnails in Windows Explorer? We have a lot of text insets and need to preview them before we import them. Alt+P didn't work. Is there a setting somewhere? I can see Word, Excel and PDF previews, but not FrameMaker.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK there's nothing that will show that for you in Explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No sign of a preview for anything except a few graphics formats on my Windows 7 machine at work, so you're already doing better :-} If you can preview .pdf, perhaps you could compromise by making a .pdf from each inset …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To build on FieryPantone's reply, you could also create (or contract to create) an ExtendScript to PDF everything in a given directory.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this: Enable Previews for new file extensions | Annoying stuff I figured out (or am trying to)

It's a tutorial on how to change the registry files to recognize and preview .fm files. I can't say if it works because our Enterprise Security Office does not allow registry files to be changed. I'll report back if they reconsider. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried it with it set to "text" - that doesn't work because FM files are binary, but if you set the "PerceivedType" key to binary, I don't know what value you would assign the data...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for trying. I'll use the convert-to-PDF workaround. That works well enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines