Highlighted

Problem: Acrobat DC: Windows Explorer: right-click/Convert to...: "...problem sending the command..."

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using TCS 2015 on a 64-bit Win 7 box with 32 GB RAM.

My workflow includes using Windows Explorer shortcuts to create PDFs from .fm files using either/or "Convert to Adobe PDF" or "Convert to Adobe PDF and EMail".

Using either of those commands in Windows Explorer results in the error "There was a problem sending the command to the program", "the program" apparently being either/both FrameMaker 2015 and/or Acrobat DC (or Adobe PDF/Adobe Acrobat Distiller DC).

FrameMaker starts as it should, and the file loads as it should, but apparently when FM calls Acrobat, it can't start as it should.

I am a week out from a critical deadline of an internal workflow document discussing that exact functionality.

If anyone knows the answer, it would be of GREAT interest to me...

Thanks!

~Image0.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Problem: Acrobat DC: Windows Explorer: right-click/Convert to...: "...problem sending the command..."

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using TCS 2015 on a 64-bit Win 7 box with 32 GB RAM.

My workflow includes using Windows Explorer shortcuts to create PDFs from .fm files using either/or "Convert to Adobe PDF" or "Convert to Adobe PDF and EMail".

Using either of those commands in Windows Explorer results in the error "There was a problem sending the command to the program", "the program" apparently being either/both FrameMaker 2015 and/or Acrobat DC (or Adobe PDF/Adobe Acrobat Distiller DC).

FrameMaker starts as it should, and the file loads as it should, but apparently when FM calls Acrobat, it can't start as it should.

I am a week out from a critical deadline of an internal workflow document discussing that exact functionality.

If anyone knows the answer, it would be of GREAT interest to me...

Thanks!

~Image0.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 04, 2016 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

Would like to inform that this could be due to the compatibility issues of file maker files with Acrobat Program , as they are not supported with Acrobat Program.

Please refer to this article for the same :- Supported file formats in Acrobat and Reader

Regards,

Yatharth 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2016 0
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding, Yatharth; however, this answer is completely incorrect.

The issue has absolutely nothing to do with FileMaker, and nowhere in in my post is that application mentioned.

The problem is that functionality that has been supported in the past (and according to Adobe, still) in TCS-family applications (like Acrobat and FrameMaker), is broken, and it is a critical part of some peoples' critical workflows (like mine).

For me, one of those critical workflows is being able to right-click and process a legitimate, current FrameMaker file through the Acrobat-family's applications, which is supposed to call FrameMaker, processes the file, and produce a PDF--and it no longer does that.

Notice in the relevant screen shot that the identifying markers (icons, text, etc.) are all identified as Adobe Systems products.

Checking with Adobe Systems

Please read postings carefully before you respond. Wrong answers do not help anyone.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2016 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

Would request you to open the file in Frame maker, then File > Print > under printer list select 'Adobe PDF' Printer .

then check how it works.

Regards,

Yatharth

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2016 0
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not a problem. It works. It's only processing a PDF through Windows Explorer that stopped working (per the screen shot).

I checked with Adobe Systems, and this functionality is still supported in TCS...

...so something is broken...

I also have double-checked that the related .dll files are registered, so that's not the problem.

Thanks for trying Yatharth...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2016 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

Please  check whether is there any update available for the software after going through "help > check for updates "

The would request you to check after disabling protected mode :- Edit > Preferences > Security (Enhanced) > uncheck the option . Then OK

Please check whether it works or not

Regards,

Yatahrth

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2016 0
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been there, done that (update).

That did not solve the problem.

Moving on...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2016 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Burtin,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

Sorry if you have answered this question already. If you right click on MS word file or image file or notepad file are you able to convert them using the context menu options ?

Before you installed Acrobat DC, did you had any previous version of Acrobat installed?

Regards,

Tariq Dar.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2016 0
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Tariq.

No solution yet.

Word file - no problem.

Notepad file - no problem.

Image file - no problem.

I had TCS V.5 (with the Acrobat XI apps). I upgraded a few weeks back.

Burtin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2016 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Burtin,

You are trying to convert FrameMaker project file and this is not correct workflow to convert FrameMaker file. Project file has other files linked to it, like images and other stuff which are not loaded unless you render the project in FrameMaker.

So to convert the FrameMaker file to PDF. You have to open the project file in FrameMaker and have to use Save to PDF option or print to pdf.

Regards,

Tariq Ahmad. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2016 0
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again, Tariq.

When did this change? This functionality has been around for quite a while.

I have done it literally hundreds of times.

Burtin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2016 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am routing this to FrameMaker community for further comments.

Regards,

Tariq Ahmad.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2016 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Burtin:

There are a number of ways to create a good PDF from FrameMaker, but I'd start with File > Save as PDF. The Windows technique you were using is a quick way, but it relies on printing to a PDF and you won't get to set things like bookmarks, tagging for accessibility, etc.

VMware Fusionss_003.pngVMware Fusionss_004.png

I wrote this post a few years ago in response to a student's question, but the info is still valid today: https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-framemaker-creating-pdfs/ .

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2016 0
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Barb, and thanks for taking the time to weigh-in on this.

I am aware of the considerations surrounding and many of the limitations of processing PDFs (I even bought and read The PDF Bible, when Adobe still made such esoteric stuff available to mortals...).

I am not promoting the Windows Explorer route as necessarily appropriate in all cases, but it should work (literally).

The file File>Save... workflow is the safest bet, I know, but it has its own limitations pertaining to cropping and oversizing issues.

I just create notes about pro's and con's and provide help if needed...

Burtin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2016 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, always happy to help. Sounds like you are good to go... but throwing one more blog post out there since you mentioned limitations pertaining to crop marks and because it has confused a record number of my students. If you don't need it, just ignore it!

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-framemaker-create-a-pdf-with-crop-marks/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2016 0
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure who marked this thread as "Assumed Answered," but that is not correct.

This question is definitely NOT answered.

I have confirmed (by testing trial installations) that this functionality is broken. I will log a bug this morning.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2016 0