• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with placement of page number in LOT and LOF

Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2015 Jun 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done many books with TOC, LOT, and LOF that all work fine.  They all look pretty normal:

Table 123 - Name of table ......................<page number>

or

Figure 123 - Name of Figure .................. <page number>

But now I have a case where the "..........." isn't happening, and the <page number> is just squished up against the name of the table with no space between the name and the page number.  This is only happening to the LOT and LOF.  The TOC looks fine.

I assume it's something in the Reference Pages that got messed up, but I can't figure out what happened so I can fix it.

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 28, 2015 Jun 28, 2015

FOUND IT!  Thanks Bob for pointing me in the right direction.  The issue was exactly that tab stop setting.  The publisher is in Europe (narrow pages).  So, while our files (with American page size) and their files matched, I found that Frame IGNORES a tab stop that pushes the text past the right hand margin.  When I reduced the tab stop it magically started working.

The silent ignoring of the tab stop was the confusing part.  It was there when you looked at it in the source files, it just never

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2015 Jun 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the Reference Page LOT in the LOT.fm file.
Open the Paragraph Designer, Basic pane.

Click in each prototype para, and make sure that tabs are enabled, and show:

1.23" R ...

or similar with that elipsis. If not, select that tab stop, [Edit] and set Leader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2015 Jun 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that is very useful information.  I didn't know about all that.  But, sadly, everything you suggested is already set correctly.  This is in a book with 21 chapters (is there anything in any other chapter file that might impact this?).  I have an older version of the files that I sent to the publisher and they work fine, but the files that the publisher has been working with now has this problem (and I'm trying to work with them to fix their files).  I've been trying to find any differences between the files I submitted to the publisher, and the files they are currently working with, but I'm not having any luck pinning this down.

I was very hopeful with your suggestion, because that sounded exactly like what I was seeing.  Any other thoughts about what I should look at?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2015 Jun 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FOUND IT!  Thanks Bob for pointing me in the right direction.  The issue was exactly that tab stop setting.  The publisher is in Europe (narrow pages).  So, while our files (with American page size) and their files matched, I found that Frame IGNORES a tab stop that pushes the text past the right hand margin.  When I reduced the tab stop it magically started working.

The silent ignoring of the tab stop was the confusing part.  It was there when you looked at it in the source files, it just never appeared in the finished product, and there was NOTHING to indicate why!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2015 Jun 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Frame IGNORES a tab stop that pushes the text past the right hand margin.

And sometimes when the tab stop exactly equals the column width.

re: When I reduced the tab stop it magically started working.

If you ever run into the exactly= problem, just reduce by 0.01in. I routinely set TOC and IX tab stops to CW-.01 for this reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 29, 2015 Jun 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Free 1-hour webinar; no fluff, no hype, no nonsense...

Wednesday, July 8, 10am PDT:
FrameMaker's Table Of Contents Demystified

This webinar explores the different mechanisms involved in setting up Table of Contents (and other generated files, such as List of Figures, List of Tables, etc.). Includes demonstrations of techniques, common glitches and useful workarounds.

Note: this webinar applies to all FrameMaker versions

Registration

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines