Exit

Problem withText

Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a book created in FrameMaker 10.

All text was sorted has font size 10 and  Times New Roman.

However some paragraphs on several pages appear to have a  large size and a different shape from Times New Roman. When selecting the offending text it still appears to have size 10 and Times New Roman.  I am having  to re-type again but this is quite  laborious as the book is  really large and re-selecting the offending text  and  making it same size and font  type as the rest does not seem to make any difference.

Can you please help?

regards

Joe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Was this text originally imported from MS Word? I have seen many funky imports from MS Word files no matter what version of Windows and which version of Frame. I generally wash the text by either copying into a text editor or save the Word file into a text file and then import that.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it look different when printed out, also, or just on the screen? If it's just on the screen, try pressing Ctrl-L. Sometimes the display gets a bit wonky.

If it's not the same when printed out, then I suspect the presence of overrides. Have you tried selecting all the odd text and then reapplying the default font?

1. Select from the beginning to the end of the text that appears to be misformatted.
  2. Press F8.
  3. Select Default Font from the Character Formats menu and press return.

If that doesn't work, then you can try doing a search and replace for Paragraph Overrides.

1. Select Edit > Find/Change from the main menu
  2. Select Paragraph Format Override from the Find drop-down
  3. Click Find to find the next instance of an override
  4. Click Change or Change & Find (NB: you can use Change All, but it's generally recommended to not do that until you are certain you have everything the way you want it, as there is NO UNDO for Change All)
  5. Once you know it's working correctly, you can click Change All.

And if that doesn't work, it's possible you have two different paragraph tags in use. Check both a correctly formatted paragraph and one that isn't and see if the tag names are identical. If they aren't, you can use Find/Change again to apply the correct tag.

1. Put the cursor in a correctly formatted paragraph and click Edit > Copy Special > Paragraph Format
  2. Click Edit > Find/Change
  3. Select Paragraph Tag from the Find drop-down
  4. Type in the name of the INCORRECT paragraph tag
  5. Select By Pasting from the Change drop-down menu
  6. Then repeat steps 4-5 from above regarding Change, Change & Find, and Change All

If that also doesn't work, you can try a MIF wash, or you can save to MIF and take a look at the font information for the paragraphs that are formatted correctly and compare them to the ones that are misformatted. If nothing else, that would give you more information to bring back to us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Addition: you can also search for Character Overrides and do a search and replace for them in the same way as is done for Paragraphs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many many thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately none of the above suggestions worked.

Please see examples below

Incorrect text

Correct Text

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joe:

It looks like more than just the type size—are you using the same version of Times New Roman for both? And what is the Spread value for both? How about the Stretch values? And are both examples from the same file, or two different files?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this text originally imported from MS Word? I have seen many funky imports from MS Word files no matter what version of Windows and which version of Frame. I generally wash the text by either copying into a text editor or save the Word file into a text file and then import that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many  many thanks

I had to copy and  paste the offending text into wordpad and then recopy it  back into FrameMaker.

best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I use a small tool which does this automatically:

http://stevemiller.net/puretext/

I just copy something (from Excel, Outlook, etc.).

Then I press CTRL+SHIFT+V, and PureText converts the copied item into text without any formatting info.

The very same as if I would copy something into a text editor and copy it from there again and paste this into the target application.

Very handy.

There are also other similar tools out there (AutoHotkey scripts, etc.).

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can also hack your FM's maker.ini file to put TEXT at the beginning of the list of copied formats like this:

ClipboardFormatsPriorities=TEXT, FILE, MIFW, MIF, RTF, OLE 2, META, EMF,  DIB, BMP, UNICODE TEXT

then your regular paste becomes a text-only paste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines