• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

problems using save as pdf with framemaker 11

Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2019 Apr 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Framemaker 11.0.0.380 and Distiller 10.1.163 - and periodically I can't use SAVE AS PDF. If I reboot my system I then can. Usually I can make 1-2 PDFs and then it fails and I have to completely reboot.

I have tried designating the printer as Adobe PDF and unchecking RELY ON SYSTEM FONTS ONLY ... sometimes I can make a PDF and sometimes I can't. I can sometimes designate my HP Envy printer in print setup - and I usually get 1-2 PDFs out before I have to reboot.

When I look at apps (I am running Windows 10), I do see the Adobe PDF Creation Add-On X that loaded with FrameMaker.I also have Adobe Creative Suite 6 Master Collection and Adobe Acrobat X Pro.

I should say that my system with this software worked for years until I added Windows 10.

Any ideas about this? I would appreciate some help - losing so much time to rebooting.

Jennifer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 29, 2019 Apr 29, 2019

Hi Jennifer:

I am running Windows 10

It may be worth noting that Fm 11 was released 3 years before the first version of Windows 10—which keeps upgrading. Fm 11 was never designed to run on that operating system. That doesn't mean it won't, but trouble wouldn't be entirely unexpected.

That said, you said you are using File > Save as PDF. Have you tried File > Print and printing to the Adobe PDF printer? Or Print to File (same dialog box) and then distilling? I wrote this post for a student having tr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried updating FM? I'm not sure if that version you quoted is the last one issued.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to FrameMaker 11.0.2.384 which I think is the latest version.

The first time I tried it, it didn't work. I rebooted and tried again, and it failed again. Usually, after I reboot it works - so this was a step backwards. Now I can't make a PDF at all.

I keep getting a message that the file is in use by another process.

Jennifer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you print to the AdobePDF printer instance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can print to it - but the distiller can't distill it. I get the same error message that the file is in use by another process.

Using Adobe PDF as the printer worked once for me. I will try it a few more times and see how it goes - it is a little slow - but I can live with that over rebooting every 15 minutes.

Buying a new version of FrameMaker right now isn't in the cards as I work for a non-profit science publisher. Not a lot of money in this field.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Part of your problem may be competing versions of Acrobat - multiple versions don't play nice on one machine. You may need to uninstall FM, make sure your full version of Acrobat Pro is loaded, then reinstall FM (making sure you choose a "custom" install process that tells FM not to install its "headless" PDF creator).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2019 May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have read about that. Will look into it when I have a lull in workload.

Thanks

Jennifer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jennifer:

I am running Windows 10

It may be worth noting that Fm 11 was released 3 years before the first version of Windows 10—which keeps upgrading. Fm 11 was never designed to run on that operating system. That doesn't mean it won't, but trouble wouldn't be entirely unexpected.

That said, you said you are using File > Save as PDF. Have you tried File > Print and printing to the Adobe PDF printer? Or Print to File (same dialog box) and then distilling? I wrote this post for a student having trouble creating PDFs in 2012 when Fm 11 was still the current version: https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-framemaker-creating-pdfs/ .

You might also try downloading the free, 30-day Fm 2019 trial to see if that solves the issue. You may find it worth the price of the upgrade.
Adobe FrameMaker (2019 release)-Free Trial

~Barb

EDIT: If you decide to give the trial a go, be sure to work on a copy of the files. Once you open a v11 file in 2019, it will convert to 2019. You will have to save the file back to a version 11 can open, but won't be able to do that if the trial expires.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines