Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Publishing Microsoft HTML Help

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I inherited a very large FrameMaker document that was originally created in FrameMaker 9. The person had a complex (and ridiculous) system of importing the Frame book into Madcap Flare to generate the Help File (and it usually took 3 to 4 tries to make it work).

I purchased FrameMaker 2015 so that I could publish the Help file straight from FrameMaker. However, it has been 6 weeks and I still haven't successfully managed to publish.

The Book consists of about 20 chapters. There were thousands of cross-references, several conditional Tags, and quiet a few variables. When I attenpt to publish, it will get a few chapters deep, then it just hangs.

If I remove all the files from the book and attempt to publish a few files at a time, I'm successful. However, there are a few files that still won't publish, even on their own. The pop-up appears and says it is converting, but it goes on forever.

I originally thought it might be an issue with the number of cross-references or conditions, so I removed EVERYTHING from the document. But no matter what I do, there are a few files that simply will not publish and I am forced to force quit FrameMaker each and every time.

I've scoured the internet to determine the cause, but I'm stumped. Is there something obvious that I must be doing wrong?

Thanks.

-Baffled and feeling stupid.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You totally up to date on your FM2015 patches?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, hit post too quickly - you say you've identified some FM docs that won't publish even on their own - sounds like they may be issue. I'd first try a MIF wash of them to see if there's any cruft stuck in them. If that doesn't work, them I'd be looking at creating a new blank doc and copying over the content in them and applying formatting afterwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm totally up to date with the updates. I did try copying to a blank document, and it worked, but of course I lost all cross-references and styles, etc. I'm hoping that will be my last resort though, because I don't want to reconstruct everything (It's a 1600 page document...). I will try the "MIF washing" them. I assume you mean save as MIF, then convert back to FM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, that's the one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update: I tried MIF washing and it was unsuccessful. Unless anyone thinks of anything else, I guess will have to apply all the formats to the blank doc... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines