Highlighted

Read/Write Rules (Paragraph styles)

New Here ,
Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating some Read/Write rules for a structured application. I want to be able to maintain the paragraph style (like in the top of the Paragraph Designer pod) within cells of a table. This is how my structured document already is, but I don't know how to include an attribute in the read/write rules and have looked through countless websites and documents to no success.

For example, when saving to XML through my structured application, I would like there to be an attribute in "Note" as shown below:

<CELL>

<Note>Some Text Here</Note>

</CELL>

The goal here is to complete the XML roundtrip and maintain the formatting of certain tables. The reason that this is necessary is that the first cell has a Warning graphic from the reference page, while the second one has "NOTE" autofilled, then the text from within the "Note" XML tags.

I'm really struggling with this, so I would appreciate any help!

Thank you,

Joseph

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Read/Write Rules (Paragraph styles)

New Here ,
Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating some Read/Write rules for a structured application. I want to be able to maintain the paragraph style (like in the top of the Paragraph Designer pod) within cells of a table. This is how my structured document already is, but I don't know how to include an attribute in the read/write rules and have looked through countless websites and documents to no success.

For example, when saving to XML through my structured application, I would like there to be an attribute in "Note" as shown below:

<CELL>

<Note>Some Text Here</Note>

</CELL>

The goal here is to complete the XML roundtrip and maintain the formatting of certain tables. The reason that this is necessary is that the first cell has a Warning graphic from the reference page, while the second one has "NOTE" autofilled, then the text from within the "Note" XML tags.

I'm really struggling with this, so I would appreciate any help!

Thank you,

Joseph

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 25, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joseph,

It sounds like you are looking for an EDD rather than read/write rules. Use read/write rules for things such as identifying which elements are used for special formatting objects such as tables and graphics or to use different names for elements and attributes in XML than in FrameMaker. Use an EDD to indicate how elements are formatted in different contexts.

Check the Structure Application Developer's Guide (https://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/pdfs/Structure_Dev_Guide.pdf) to get started and feel free to start new threads here for further questions.

--Lynne

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 25, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lynne,

Thank you for the quick reply. I have looked into adding formatting to my EDD as well as my Read/Write rules, but haven't really found anything that has worked for me. I have spent much time in the Structured Developer's guide, but didn't find what I was looking for. I guess my question is simply how could I go about maintaining the paragraph style of a single cell in a table. I have tried the whole "In all contexts: Use table format" or "Use paragraph format" in the EDD to no success. Would you have any specific suggestions on this?

Thank you,

Joseph

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 25, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joseph,

Where are you starting? For example, do you have a DTD or schema for the XML you are trying to produce? Do you have an existing XML document to use as a starting point? An existing unstructured FM document?

If you have small files that you can post somewhere (such as Dropbox), I'd be happy to take a quick look and see if I can help you get started.

--Lynne

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 25, 2019 0