• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

referenced .eps a) won't open Illustrator; b) sometimes renders as .tiff preview

Advisor ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Developer shows up at my desk, anxious about a document we last looked at four or five years ago: the .pdf has .tiff previews instead of clean vector graphics.

Step 1: open the .book in trusty FM12 [why I've not been able to install TCS successfully is a separate saga] and take a look. The referenced graphics are displaying the .tiff preview, as I'd expect, but double-clicking doesn't launch Illustrator. (as far as I remember, it's still working in other .fm files)

Step 2: without touching anything, run Save as PDF again … the result is a perfect .pdf with clean vector graphics.

Any advice on avoid/resolving either problem will be welcome!

TOPICS
PDF output

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting FM to render an EPS as the raster preview (which is really more like a GIF) is easy. Getting it to do so to PDF is not easy.

As you likely know, FM will send the raster to non-Postscript output paths, but for any of these, you should get the vector:
. print to PDF
. save as PDF
. print to .PS & Distill

That the double-click fails might be a clue. The MIF might be worth a look to see just what's imported there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It seems as though Windows managed to lose the "open with" preferences, though I'm even-handedly ready to suspect Adobe as well since this happened the same time as I updated Illustrator ;-} I have now reinstated Illustrator as default for .eps and – fingers crossed – everything appears to be working as I might hope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines