Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remove character tag preserving other styles

Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2019 Apr 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I have a book with very large text files with a lot of lines and words marked with character tags. Deleting the tag from the catalog don't help and the only way I know to do this task is using "default font" but this tag delete all styles and I want simply stripe the tag, and of course it's very slow.

Saving the file as mif and opening with notepad++ and deleting tags is a way but I have a lot of files and also it's very slow.

Is there a way in Framemaker 2019 to automate this task?

Thanks a lot for your time.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 26, 2019 Apr 26, 2019

I seem to recall that BarbBinder​ has a search and replace routine that (might) do this, but I can't find it. However, I do know that Silicon Prairie's Character Tools plugin does do this. You can use it to create a conversion document and, for the character tag you want removed, you type in "Default Paragraph Format" in the Destination column. Whether you delete the tag itself from the catalog is up to you. As you've discovered, deleting the tag does not remove its effects from the text; it sim

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There has been a plugin named "FindChangeSpecial" by Rick Quatro (Carmen Publishing), which did exactly what you need: find a selected format (paragraph, character, etc.), and replace by a different format (including the default para font). This is a screenshot of the plugin in action:

Bildschirmfoto 2019-04-26 um 14.14.58.png

This plugin seems no longer available from Rick's website, just the more powerful successor, the "FindChangeFormatsBatch" plugin. However, you could simply ask Rick (via his website) if he still offers the "simple" plugin.

Bernd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to recall that BarbBinder​ has a search and replace routine that (might) do this, but I can't find it. However, I do know that Silicon Prairie's Character Tools plugin does do this. You can use it to create a conversion document and, for the character tag you want removed, you type in "Default Paragraph Format" in the Destination column. Whether you delete the tag itself from the catalog is up to you. As you've discovered, deleting the tag does not remove its effects from the text; it simply shows up as an override.

It's shareware, so you don't have to pay for it to try it out; it'll just nag you until you do. But at $10, it's a pretty cheap solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2019 May 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your responses BarbBinder, linsims and Be.eM. They all have been very useful!!

This forum is the best of Framekamer with no doubt!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2019 May 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Oscar:

So glad we could help!

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Oscar:

I think linsims is thinking about a past variation on this find/change scenario:

1. Select text without a character style assigned. Copy the Character Format to the clipboard:
    Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 6.52.14 AM.png

2. Find the Character Tag. Change By pasting. (There are three occurrences of Emphasis in the first paragraph.)
    Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 6.52.21 AM.png
  3. Change all.
    Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 6.52.27 AM.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the one I was thinking of was recent, and you used the To Character Formats as the replace. I was discounting it, though, because it looked as if it would remove the tag, but leave the formatting behind instead of changing to the default paragraph format. My mind is tapioca this morning, though, so it's possible I misremembered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tapioca? Great description, Lin!

I use a number of variations on this theme—the docs I lay out are so messy that I have learned to be creative in my clean-up. The f/c scenario I laid out above does remove the character tag:

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 7.11.48 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-04-26 at 7.12.55 AM.png

But the limitation is that it will muck up the formatting with different type specs, as would the variation you described above.

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 7.15.08 AM.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's also an Adobe blog post that provides a set of Extend scripts that are very similar to Rick's FindChangeSpecial. I can't vouch for how well it works as I've never tried it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines