Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Retaining the page numbering in a book

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We are currently switching from Unstructured to Structured Framemaker. I am using both Adobe Framemaker 7.1 and FM10. I am using the structured tools in the FM7.1 where we need to create a separate application for each XML file with its own DTD, Template etc.,. I created around 25 xml files and created a book with all the XML files in FM10.

Each XML file has their own template i.e. an FM file(ex. Title page.fm). I have set the numbering in the differently in each template.

For example: Section 1 - Page 1001

Section 2 - Page 2001

Section 3 - Page 3001

When I print these sections individually there is no problem in page numbering. But when I combine it into a book and print the whole as a book page nos are changed.

For example: Section 1 - Page 1

Section 2 - Page 1

Section 3 - Page 1

Can anyone suggest any solution for this?. I

changes to

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Hello,

When you include FrameMaker documents in a book the page numbering may be reset by the book's numbering properties. The good news is that you have complete control on how the page numbers are managed.

With the book file selected click Format > Document > Numbering. The Numbering Properties will show the default page numbering like this:
PageNumbers1.PNG

You have three options the first one is the best choice for your case. Change First Page # to the required value, for example 1001, 2001,...

Repeat for each f

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

When you include FrameMaker documents in a book the page numbering may be reset by the book's numbering properties. The good news is that you have complete control on how the page numbers are managed.

With the book file selected click Format > Document > Numbering. The Numbering Properties will show the default page numbering like this:
PageNumbers1.PNG

You have three options the first one is the best choice for your case. Change First Page # to the required value, for example 1001, 2001,...

Repeat for each file in the book then print. Your page numbering will be as you expected.

The option to read the value from the file will also work, but in that case you are managing the page numbers in two locations which is not normally a good idea.

You say that you are switching to Structured FrameMaker. If that also includes saving to XML you will need to reset the numbering each time you open the book from XML. I prefer to manage that part with a small book update script which saves a lot of time for me.

~ Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines