• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

revise current book

Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm revising our current 2018 book with 2019 revisions.  I did a save as and the chapter numbers are showing as the path and file name of the 2018 book.  can I rename the chapters and/or save the source file in a different location? Do I need to create a new book using the 2018 chapters and then revise that book?  Pain in the butt!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screen shot to illustrate what's happening? I'm unclear as to what action you took & what's not right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent you a screen shot...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sent it where? I'm not seeing anything posted here - use the image icon in the forum's web interface to post images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so it appears that you did a Save As on the .book file into the new "Trilogy_FM_Changes_thru_Dec_2018" folder, but you didn't follow up with saving all the individual .fm files within the book to the new folder location - that's why the path is appearing - if it was in the same folder, it would be suppressed and you could choose to toggle the filename/title in the book display.

Unless you need to go back to the prior Trilogy_FM_Changes_thru_ folder's contents, I wouldn't bother trying to maintain your FM docs in this folder structure, but YMMV.

BTW - you have some really long path + filename combos going on there - watch out for getting a too long total character count length - there's an invisible limit inside that causes hyperlinks to fail when published to WebHelp or HTML5 output. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The path is showing because the files in your book aren't located in the same directory as the book file. I suspect what you did was save the book file to the new directory. All that does is save a copy of the book file, it won't move the chapter files because the book file only contains links to the chapters.

What you need to do is copy the original book file and the chapter files to the new directory, rename the book file to the new name, and then open the new book file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gina:

So you want to keep the 2018 version and then update the 2019 version? Are you using a project folder with the book file and every asset that relates to the book in that folder or in subfolders? In that scenario, just duplicate the 2018 project folder and make your updates in the new version.

A save as in the book window will simply rename the book file, but will not rename or duplicate or move the linked chapters.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  Do I make the changes in the individual chapters or in the newly saved book?

The project file I'm copying and renaming/revising is FM11 - I'm now using FM17.  When in the book, I get the book report error that the chapters won't open b/c they were created in another version of FM?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gina:

After you copy the folder and contents, open the book in Fm 2017. Save it. Then hold the Shift key and choose File > Open All Files in book, followed by Shift + File > Save All Files in Book. This will update the entire book (and chapters) to 2017 and you are off and running.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing: you will get an alert as each chapter opens. You can disable this with the checkbox in the dialog box, or go to Edit > Prefs > Alerts and uncheck Opening an Old Release Document (and perhaps Book). You know they are Fm11 files, and don't need to be reminded each time!

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  All is good...now I have to work...lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb - I have a question.  I'm trying to insert pages into a current chapter.  When I do, the doesn't push the current page to a new page, it inserts over the page. 

How do I insert a new page and/or how do I insert pages to maintain the current chapter as it is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disconnected Flows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gina:

When you want to add new text to an existing FrameMaker document click to add an insertion point and:

1. just start typing, or

2. paste text, or

3. use File > Import > File to import the text

What you don’t want to do is add a disconnected page before adding the new content.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would like to add, that when i move to the next version of a book, I do not change the book name, but make a new folder with the new name, otherwise it seems too complex to me, (have to change TOC name etc)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines