• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Running Heads tutorial

Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was looking at a tutorial by Barb Binder about how to create a list of effective pages on the Rocky Mountain Training site, I know that I would like to incorporate this into my documents but I am missing some knowledge to make it work. 

The above-mentioned tutorial assumes that the reader knows how to create "running heads", Chapter numbering, list of paragraphs, and variables. I am fairly confident in my knowledge in all of those except how to create/configure running heads in my document. 

If someone can point me in the direction of such a tutorial or can break it down into more simple terms that are outlined in Barb's tutorial I would be grateful as this would save me an immense amount of time each time I have to update documents. Thank you in advance.  

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, 
This was certainly helpful but what I was hoping for was something non-printing that will output to the front matter as the document is updated. Now, this may be a misunderstanding of what Barb was speaking too in the blog post I referenced so if that is the case then please excuse my ignorance. Below is the one step in the process of generating a LOEP that I am struggling to figure out. 

Each chapter in your book will need to have running heads set up with an empty template frame with a flow tag* that can accept the revision number/date on the body pages. These frames are added to the master pages. Assign clear, concise paragraph tags to format the running heads (i.e., Revision#Left and Revision#Right for the left and right pages). You will generate a list of paragraphs using these paragraph tags in step 3. (*Consider removing the auto-connect property from the template frames so that a novice FrameMaker user won’t accidentally overset text in a frame and generate unintentional extra pages.)

I have variables set up in the footer that shows the original author-date and the last revision date so I have figured out how to use auto-generated variables now I would like to take is a step forward and have a list of the changes generated. Thank you again for any assistance you can point me towards. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2020 Feb 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I used the blog articles that you suggested and I think I set it up correctly. I may be missing variables but I am not sure. If you could look at the way I have it set up and let me know if this will work to generate a LOEP that would be awesome.  The goal is to create LOEP that will note any revisions that are made to the documents that make up manuals formed by the documents with this running head or in this case footer. RUnning head setupRUnning head setup

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines