• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

S1000D Creating description data module by using the common source data and publish to IETP

New Here ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, we are using FrameMaker2019 Release for a (quite big) S1000D project. We are in the conception phase and have 2 main problems.

Creating description data module by using the function common source data

Creating a data module the normal way works fine. The problem occurs if we try to create a new description data module by using the function common source data. If we choose any other data module type than the crew module noting happens and the window closes. But this function is necessary for our project to manage the data modules. Is this a bug?

Publish to IETP

We are using the user guide, when trying to publish the publication module. However, it is described, that we should press “publish to IETP” after creating the publication module book. The problem is, that we are not able to press this button because it is greyed out.

In the user guide it is mentioned that we need for publishing the Technical Communication 3. Do we really have to buy it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the details. Would be great if you can reach out to me on my email so we could help you out.

thanks

Amitoj Singh

Email: amisingh@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Publish to IETP

Yes, the option to output an IETP really did require TCS, that was intentional. It was essential because FrameMaker sent the output to RoboHelp for publishing as an Adobe AIR application. Unfortunately that hasn’t worked for years as the RobeHelp publishing route has significantly changed in that time. It was always very poor due to the lack of ExtendScript options at the time in RoboHelp. Not even sure if AIR is an option any more. 
I created the S1000D application package for Adobe almost ten years ago, but nothing much about it has changed since then.
Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To find a publishing solution ist very important because our project will consist of more than 3500 topics (data modules) at the end! Is FrameMaker S1000D even capable of handling such a project?

If we understood you right, it is not possible to publish via the IETP-tool? Does it work to publish via "normal" HTML-option? Is there a special scripting or other adaption necessary?

Do you have any idea concerning the second issue - creating data modules by using the common source data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original aim of the FrameMaker S1000D capability was as a starting point for further development. There was an exciting road-map for its future, but after a change of FM management that was all dropped in favour of DITA! It was perhaps more useful to a project that had a need to create and manage only a small number of data modules. During testing I used about 300 data modules, but that was tricky and I wouldn't recommend it. Also, it's a stand-alone system designed to be used by one author on their local computer, it has no ability to share and manage data modules accross a network.

With 3500 data modules to manage you do need a real server-based CSDB because that's how the specification is designed to work. 

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian,
In regards to being able to use FrameMaker as a stand-alone system to author S1000D content, it appears it is limited in the type of Data Modules you can create form the S1000D/New menu. I am investigating tools I can use to author "Learning" S1000D data modules, but not limited to.

Perhaps I misunderstand the process and that is why they are not there. Could you help me understand how I could build structured content through an editor like Frame Maker to build S1000D data modules that adhere to the schemas outlines in S1000D 4.0 +?

I have been looking around to find out how to extend FrameMaker to support more data module types however continue to find resources for plugins for word, or software plugins for FrameMaker like R4i. Unfortunately, I am unable to test these software applications and would be unsuccessful with a purchase order until I have hands-on experience authoring S1000D data modules.

Any help you can give me that leads me to be able to author more S1000D Data Module types would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Mekon Ltd is an Adobe Partner and specialize in supporting Adobe’s S1000D customers. We have an application called Eclipse S1000D for FrameMaker that supports all the DM types and versions of the spec which is independent of any CSDB. I would be happy to email you a trial licence, we also have different publishing solutions for S1000D data that I would be happy to discuss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines