• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save as pdf problems in Framemaker 12, parallels

Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a MacBook pro running Windows 10 with parallels (all most recent versions). Framemaker 12 works much better than it did in bootcamp, as drivers were always a problem on my MacBook and there was no ability to copy and paste between OSX apps and FM, nor could Framemaker store its files on the OSX side - where backups were easy. I have no problem printing on FM, but I cannot get a good pdf save from FM. I have tried "save as pdf" which appears to lock up the FM application. I also have tried using the pdf printer option and printing. That works fine so long as hyperlinks are not selected, but if they are, it creates a tps file but no pdf. If I try to create a pdf using distiller on the OSX side, it gives me an error message.

I have tried changing Parallels to not enable OSX applications, so that the conversion will not default to the OSX side, and I have Acrobat DC on both the Windows and OSX sides. Has any one used Framemaker successfully on a virtual drive and converted to hyperlinked pdf? I have TOC and index hyperlinks and a few URL hyperlinks to external sites in the FM document. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Has any one used Framemaker successfully on a virtual drive and converted to hyperlinked pdf?

Yes. I work on Macs, but run Windows using vmWare Fusion specifically for FrameMaker. I also have Acrobat Professional installed twice: one for Windows and the other for Mac OS. No problems with hyperlinked PDFs. I tend to use the Windows Acrobat when on a FrameMaker job, until I have to send a proof to the client. Then I'll hop over to my Mac version, because it's connected to my email client.

I can't sp

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Has any one used Framemaker successfully on a virtual drive and converted to hyperlinked pdf?

Yes, although not on a Mac. I run FM7 under Windows XP in a VM under Windows 7. Works perfectly, including Save-as-PDF, Print-to-PDF and Print-to-Ps with separate Distill. So, theoretically, can be done.

Copy&paste between the host and client operating systems works, most of the time, but when it doesn't, it doesn't work for any app, not just FM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has any one used Framemaker successfully on a virtual drive and converted to hyperlinked pdf?

Yes. I work on Macs, but run Windows using vmWare Fusion specifically for FrameMaker. I also have Acrobat Professional installed twice: one for Windows and the other for Mac OS. No problems with hyperlinked PDFs. I tend to use the Windows Acrobat when on a FrameMaker job, until I have to send a proof to the client. Then I'll hop over to my Mac version, because it's connected to my email client.

I can't speak to Parallels, but I've used Fusion for at least 8 years. I have occasional issues, but their Tech Support has been stellar and they get me back up and running in no time when I run into an issue (usually caused by a Windows upgrade).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the replies. Maybe this is a unique issue with Parallels. I used to use VMware, but had problems with the most recent version and changed over to Parallels. VMware laid off several of its employees not that long ago, and I had doubts about its long term health. I've put in a tech support request, but my experience with these sort of things is that they direct one back to the software companies (Adobe, Madcap) for solutions. That is one problem with running VMs on OSX.

Is there some setting in an ini file that directs FM to use Acrobat on Windows for its pdf export? I think mine is defaulting to using the OSX side Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VMware laid off several of its employees not that long ago, and I had doubts about its long term health.

Hmmm. I have a good friend who works at the Colorado office, and he mentioned they are hiring—so I don't know what to say about that.

I am not sure about any settings within the .ini file that pertain to Acrobat. Someone else maybe able to speak to that—I don't spend much time in the .ini file these days because most of the old crazy defaults have been straightened out. Years ago, the advice was to always install Acrobat last but I'm not even sure if I followed that on this installation of DC. It just worked. (I know—not the least bit helpful, but maybe it will give you hope.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like the problem disappeared when I changed sharing to allow directories to be shared and windows programs to be opened on the OSX side but not OSX programs on the windows side. Now pdf export is correctly using the Win10 version of acrobat and all the links work perfectly. Thank you all for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news! Happy Friday!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 19, 2016 Nov 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just as an addition, since your problem is already solved: we are using FrameMaker versions 8-13 in Parallels VMs on Macs (even one FM7.2 installation, although no longer used). They all work fine with Parallels strictly keeping applications separate. Nothing on Mac automatically using a Win application, and nothing in Windows launching a Mac application. It's fine to share folders, but I never share applications. This might add to the security (regarding virus and other problems) as well.

Bernd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines