• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save Framemaker 2015 book for Framemaker 11 use?

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2015 Jul 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Due to a machine upgrade I have had to install Framemaker 2015 as it was the only download I could find for FM.

It seems that the only option that I have for saving files at a different version is to FM 12 but I work with a client that runs FM11.  Is there a way to save from FM 2015 to FM 11 format or is there a download for FM 12 that I can use to re-install at FM 12?

Cheers,

Mark

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For FrameMaker 12, try the links in the last post on this thread: how to download older version of framemaker 12

To get usable files out of FrameMaker 2015, choose File > Save As, and set the Save as Type to MIF. I don't have FrameMaker 2015, but if it's like FrameMaker12 there'll be two MIF options, and you want the latest one (i.e. not MIF 7.0). The .mif file that gets created is a human-readable representation of your FrameMaker file. FrameMaker 11 will open this, and ignore any new features that it doesn't support. Use the same route to get back to FrameMaker 2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mike, that was useful information about the MIF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2015 Jul 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that information it looks like it will be useful.

If I am saving a book that way do I have to open each individual file that is contained in the book and save as MIF or is there a quicker way to do it?

Cheers,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 16, 2015 Jul 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You asked "Do I have to open each individual file that is contained in the book and save as MIF". With out-of-the-box FrameMaker, yes, you do have to do that.

Other people have written add-on scripts or plugins to save all filesin a book as MIF. I'm afraid that I cannot remember them myself, but try this thread: Re: .book to .mif script

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2016 Apr 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark, hi forum members,

I currently have a problem similar to the one you had last year: A client of mine newly wants to work with FM11 books and files, and this causes me to have to buy FM, too (or to loose this client).

As you said, older releases of FM are hardly available and if they are, they cost nearly the same as FM2015. On the other hand, upgrades are charged with half a fortune. Thus, I'm willing to straightly buy the current version FM2015. And as, according to propaganda, this version has a bunch of advantages, I actually do want to use this very version and not install a downgrade instead.

My test version of FM2015, however, refuses to create a pdf file from a book with FM11 files, and in the very same way, it refuses to create an output from a book with .mif files.

-> So, my hope is that you and/or another forum member can recommend a suitable method for handling FM11 files in FM2015 - maybe even a method which saves me from constantly re-saving files in different formats and saves my client from an unwanted upgrade.

Many thanks in advance,

Rolf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2016 Apr 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rolf,

It would be better to start a new thread, so that the questions and answers do not get mixed up.

If the files are still FM 11 files, FM wants to show a message about this. However, this is not possible during the print process.

You can see this as well in the FrameMaker console.

Therefore open all files first (press SHIFT and then open the File menu and click on Open All Files in Book). Then print.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2016 Apr 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Winfried,

thanks a lot for this very helpful hint!

It surprises me that a software of this price category requires such actions which I'd call rather tricky. However, although somewhat hidden, your method is a walkable way with only little stones on it.

Have a nice weekend,

Cheers,

Rolf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines