Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving as PDF using RGB setting

Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2016 Mar 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am using Framemaker 13.0.2.433 under Windows 7.

I have defined paragraphs for notes, warnings and cautions that use an autonumber at the beginning, so that I will have Note: and Warning: and Caution: in front of my paragraphs. And the content of the paragraph I wanted to not be underlined (so the rest of the paragraph does not have the underline setting), so I defined it like in the screenshot below:

Framemaker.png

In framemaker it looks fine but if I save it to PDF using RGB setting it prints out a small underline in front of my paragraphs, see below:

RGB 2.png

But if I print using CMYK setting it doesn't print this line:

CMYK 2.png

But I really need to print my files using RGB setting, so can you please tell me why if I use RGB setting it prints out that small underline?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 01, 2016 Apr 01, 2016

Tried the numeric underline, it doesn't work.

Tried putting a thin space after the colon, but that also doesn't work. I have also tried other spaces or separation symbols (Nonbreaking space, En Space, Em space, Numeric space, End-of-flow symbol, End-of-paragraph symbol). Nothing works, as long as I have defined a tab stop, it will try to underline the "invisible tab stop symbol".

The only solution I see for this case is to not define the tab stop, and enter the space manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What font is being used and what character is placed after the colon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The font used is Arial.
In the above example I didn't put anything after the colon...but it doesn't matter...whatever I add after the colon it will have that small underline in front of it, but only in the pdf (if I print it with RGB).

RGB printed PDF:

rgb (2).png

CMYK printed PDF:

cmyk 3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might be related to an already filed bug in FM2015. See the following thread unwanted characters coming in pdf and bug report Bug#4116896 - Zero-width FM characters (anchors, markers, etc.) print artifact when underline is set...

Is there a marker (or anchored frame) at the beginning of these notes, warnings, etc. ? If so, try moving the marker to the end of the entry.

If this (re)moves the spurious line, then add a vote to the bug and describe your situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the unlikely event that FM2015 has support for Unicode combining (non-advancing) diacriticals, a work-around would be to dispense with the underline Character Format assigned to the Autonumber format, and use instead text string:
N\u0332o\u0332t\u0332e\u0332:

U+0332 is COMBINING LOW LINE

I might further remark that if these headings involve matters of personal safety, underlining, with or without bolding, may not meet ANSI, IEC or industry or liability carrier standards for admonishments including CAUTION, WARNING and DANGER. See also Re: Define variable as caution icon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2016 Mar 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Nice workaround, but there is a small space between the underline of "N" and the rest "ote" and if I use all uppercase letters (NOTE), each letter will have a separate underline.

@Bug 4116896. But I do not have any markers at the beginning of the paragraph. But I do have a tab stop defined after NOTE: using \t .

An workaround would be to not define the tab stop and enter space after the autonumber, but this is affects productivity as I have to enter manually the desired space after each NOTE, WARNING and CAUTION.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Nice workaround, but there is a small space between the underline of "N" and the rest "ote"

But it otherwise worked, and didn't display as
N_o_t_e_
If so, I'm impressed. Despite having such such retreating diacritics in the Unicode standard for over 20 years, support for them is not exactly universal yet.

re: and if I use all uppercase letters (NOTE), each letter will have a separate underline.

You might be able to get those gaps to join by playing with Spread and Stretch in the Paragraph Designer, in which case.

N\u0332O\u0332T\u0332E\u0332:\t

might solve your problem until the bug is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the default underline? If so, try a numeric underline inthe Character designer instead. This just moves it a bit lower.

You could also try putting a thin-space character between the colon and the tab. This might break the tendency for the underline to overshoot the characters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2016 Apr 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried the numeric underline, it doesn't work.

Tried putting a thin space after the colon, but that also doesn't work. I have also tried other spaces or separation symbols (Nonbreaking space, En Space, Em space, Numeric space, End-of-flow symbol, End-of-paragraph symbol). Nothing works, as long as I have defined a tab stop, it will try to underline the "invisible tab stop symbol".

The only solution I see for this case is to not define the tab stop, and enter the space manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 01, 2016 Apr 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please file a new bug report or cast your vote to the previous bug report (Bug#4116896 - Zero-width FM characters (anchors, markers, etc.) print artifact when underline is set...) and add your example of how it is failing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines