• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving book to XML when files contain SVG references

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2010 Oct 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saving book containing files with SVG graphic references to XML causes FrameMaker application error and resulting error.txt file.

This was seen in xdocbook by doing the following:
1. Create a xdocbook file with Chapter as the top level element.
2. Add a Para element to describe the chapter.
3. Add a Figure element and add text to the figure Title element
4. Add a Graphic element child of Figure.  Select an SVG file to insert by reference.
5. Set the structured application to xdocbook and Save the Chapter.
Optionally, create one or two more chapters to replicate a book but if you add graphics, don't reference any other svg files.  Use .tif or .jpg or .wmf instead.
6. Go back to the first file created, with the SVG reference.  Save this file as XML.  The process should complete without error.
7. Create a book and add the newly created chapters in it, in any order.  Be sure to include the chapter with the SVG file reference.
8. Set the structured application for the book to xdocbook and save the book file. 
9. Now save the book as XML.  This should cause an error.txt file to be created in your profile area.  Examine the XML file that corresponds to the Chapter with the SVG.  It is only partially created.  Examine the book.xml file.  It will probably be empty.
10.  Reopen FrameMaker 9.0 and open the book.  Remove the chapter containing the SVG reference.  Save the book as XML.  This time it should be successful and not crash Framemaker.

In our books, we use a very similar Figure/Graphic element hierarchy and this bug is critical.  The process seemed to work fine in FM 7.2 but fails in FM9.0.  I have no clue as to why it fails with references to SVG.  I might be able to understand if the SVGs were embedded, but referenced?

Has anyone else seen this problem and is there a workaround available that doesn't call for converting all my SVG files to WMF's?

Regards

Chuck

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 31, 2010 Oct 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chuck, what specific version of FM 9, as shown in Help >> About, the full number(s) shown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2010 Nov 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Sheila.

I'm using 9.0p255. I checked for Updates and there are none so, this must be latest and greatest!

Chuck

Charles P. Vorndran

Software Development Engineer

GDO Global Technology and Offering Development

Xerox Corporation

800 Phillips Road, 0111-04A

Webster, NY 14580, USA

Phone 585.231.8717 (8*701.8717)

Fax 585.265.7938 (8*225.7938)

This email message, including any attachments is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 01, 2010 Nov 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, well, there goes that theory

I'm not a structured FM user so I'm just offering basic troubleshooting mumbles, I'm afraid, in hopes that somebody else will come along to duplicate your steps, but you mentioned:

>> Examine the XML file that corresponds to the Chapter with the SVG.  It is only partially created.

Can you determine any specific features of the point where the XML stops that might give you a possible clue, e.g. does it stop at a pathname? does the path or the filename use any unusual characters or spaces? have you tested with a local file rather than from a network location?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2010 Nov 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It stops while writing out the left sibling element to the Figure element. Every once in a while it will write our the start of the Figure element (i.e. "<Figure ") but I haven't been able to identify the conditions that set that up. No special characters are in play. I creates some really simple xDocBook files with a PARA "This is a paragraph" followed by a FIGURE with a GRAPHIC reference to a real simple SVG drawing of an elipse created in InkScape.

Chuck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

S1000D rules of using XML only allows illustrations as .png files of cgi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines