• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Second table of contents

Participant ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a technical training manual I'm developing. The first part is training materials and the second part is lab work. I want to keep it in one book, but I want a separate table of contents for the lab work. The main TOC should have everything but the second should only have the lab pages. Can this be done as one book or do I need to make this two different books?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Hi Eric:

This is a similar situation (not exact) to someone who wants a TOC, list of figures and a list of tables in the same book. These are all just lists, with FrameMaker collecting the content via paragraph styles. Use a specific style for the heads in the main TOC (maybe Title, Heading1 and Heading2) and different styles for the lab work (maybe TitleLab, Heading1Lab, Heading2Lab). Then generate the two TOCs with the appropriate head styles. The main TOC pulls in all of them, and the lab TOC

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can use the "book of books" concept...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Idea, I think I'm going to do it this way only to make my life a little easer than adding headings. But both are examples of how versatile FM is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eric:

This is a similar situation (not exact) to someone who wants a TOC, list of figures and a list of tables in the same book. These are all just lists, with FrameMaker collecting the content via paragraph styles. Use a specific style for the heads in the main TOC (maybe Title, Heading1 and Heading2) and different styles for the lab work (maybe TitleLab, Heading1Lab, Heading2Lab). Then generate the two TOCs with the appropriate head styles. The main TOC pulls in all of them, and the lab TOC pulls in just the lab styles.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Barb,

Great idea, but a little time consuming for this round. I have too much garbage now I need to clean out. I like the book of books idea. This way I can add another book, which I know is coming my way soon.

Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines