• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Section variable deals deleting with update numbering

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2016 Feb 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Am using section numbering in the footer and it looks great.

When I generate the table of contents it is returns to a blank. The variable is there but it is empty.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 02, 2016 Feb 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First guess: check the reference page for your table of contents and make sure it includes a building block like <$paranum> to include any autonumbering

Perhaps you could give us a bit more description, too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2016 Feb 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reference pages are ok  The problem is in the base document.

I pages that are added to a book an I can not change the page sequence. For exsmpke

101.fm has chapter number 4 and finishes on page 16 (4-16)

102.fm has chapter number 4 and starts on page 17 (4-17)

I have to add 101-2.fm that has point pages from 4-16.1 to 4-16.12

I need the added information to go into the table of contents with the point page numbering.

WHen I update numbering from update book or update the TOC without deselecting the update numbering, the value of the section variable changes from 16. to empty space.

Debs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please post the Reference Page building block sequence that you are using for this and the numbering settings used in the book file for the files/chapters either side and including the 101-2.fm file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌For all the files I am using the numbering from the default FrameMaker numbering option defined in each file. In the book numbering I have selected read from file for volume chapter page and paragraph. The section and subsection is greyed and inactive in the book, and it shows empty even if the file it has been set to 16.. In the footer I have inserted the system variable for volume (in this book it is nothing but in multi volumes it shall be text. 1- or 2-) then I have the chapter variable (numeric) the - , next is the section variable which is empty except for the files that have point pages, in those files it is text. (16.) last is the page number variable.

THe the chapter and page number are numeric variables. The volume and section vwriables must be text as the must include the volume number- and the point page. In the variable definition. The generated table of contents has Roman page numbering and empty volume number variable, no chapter or section variables.

IN the reference pages for the generated files I have

<$chapnum>-<$paranum>\t<$paratext>\t<$volnum><$chapnum>-<$sectionnum><pagenum>

If I turn off update numbering when I generate the files it is ok. But I do need to update numbering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The described setup isn't the easiest for maintenance...

If you haven't defined Folders in the book structure nor added the files in the appropriate chapter groupings to these Folders then Sections  won't be enabled and you can't get the <$sectionnum> building block to work.

You'll also need to manually break the page numbering at your point.page (101-2.fm) file and re-start  it at one (1). You will also need to manually set the starting page number on the file following the pont-page file to pick-up the page number (17 in your case).

It would be more maintainable to set the numbering properties in the book, rather than in each individual file. This way re-ordering or adding additional content doesn't affect the numbering of downstream files - it's all controlled at the book level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2016 Feb 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried using the folders and also a book within a book. Both with no luck. Can you link to setting up the folder correctly. I have not been able to find anything.

Do you know if there is a way to use running h/f variable in the generated file. if I created a style for the running h/f variable can I some how get It to go into the table of contents between the chapter and page number for the files that use that paragraph

I am using FrameMaker 12.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2016 Feb 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A book of books wouldn't work well in your situation.

You can add folders (logical containers that can have numbering properties) to a Book using the Add > Folders... The folder will be inserted below the current file selection in the book. You can then drag and drop other book component files into that folder using the book display. The folder can have Volume, Chapter, Page, Paragraph numbering properties assigned in the book. The files within that folder can also use the Section numbering. Folders within folders allow contained files to use Sub-Section  numbering. There's a bit of discussion in the Help (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/2015/using/index.html#t=using-framemaker-2015%2Ffrm_books_bk%...) on this [it's the same for all FM versions].

Running h/f variables are meant to pick up content from an existing flow in a file. I don't see how this will help you sort out the numbering. You will need to manually set the page numbering on either side of the point-file and re-start the point file numbering at one (1). You have to be careful about the Section number usage and set it properly within the folder structure. Files outside of the folders should ignore the section numbers [however, since I haven't used this type of set-up, it's also possible that downstream of the first folder, all Reference page declarations in the generated files will continue to use the last defined <$sectionum> value]. It would also be easier if your point file(s) used slightly modified paratag names for the headers required in the TOC [e.g. instead of H1 use something like H1p and then include H1p in the list of paratags for the TOC]. That way, you can customize the building blocks so that Section numbers are only used for the point files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines