• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select all, copy, paste in new doc

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to update several manuals from legacy content into our new template. I was thinking a script could help me do the trick.

I think the way it should work is as follows:

• create an empty document using latest template,
  • open existing old manual document,
  • select all content, copy. This will copy all text, tables, anchored frames, etc.
  • go back to empty document and paste copied content.

Is this good practice using Extendscript?

Maybe using FCodes is an option. Do you have any suggestion?

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Hi,

When I have a new template, I usually do not want any remnants from any old template.

Therefore I do it almost as fonrig said:

• Empty document from the last template. I do not "Save As", as this might change the path from any graphics on the reference pages or master pages. I copy the template into my folder with my file manager. All my graphics are in a subfolder "graphics".
  • Copy old file into the new folder so that the path to any graphics will not change.
  • Rename old file e.g. with a prefix "_ol

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it safe to assume that the legacy manuals are FrameMaker documents? If so then I wouldn't go about it in the way you describe. It's normally easier to import the formats from the template into the existing documents. When I have to do this with a large batch of individual FrameMaker documents I add them all to a temporary book file then import the formats from the template into all of the book components.

If you have vast numbers of documents to convert, then a script may be useful to automate the task, but otherwise I would just use the existing tools that FrameMaker provides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When I have a new template, I usually do not want any remnants from any old template.

Therefore I do it almost as fonrig said:

• Empty document from the last template. I do not "Save As", as this might change the path from any graphics on the reference pages or master pages. I copy the template into my folder with my file manager. All my graphics are in a subfolder "graphics".
  • Copy old file into the new folder so that the path to any graphics will not change.
  • Rename old file e.g. with a prefix "_old_"
  • Rename new file with the same name as the old file.
  • Select all content, copy. Close old file.
  • Paste into new document.
  • Import formats from the current document and remove manual page breaks and format/layout overrides.
  • Take care of anything which should use another format now.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a fair comment Winfried. I was just checking that fonrig was aware of the built-in options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a fair comment and all advice so far seems very good. As much as I love a good script, it is worth looking hard at whether it will take longer to develop than to just do it manually. The script would need to also manage files... that is, stuff like save them to all the correct locations, possibly deal with cross-reference links, etc. etc.  Could be much more involved than you think initially, especially if you are new to it. You could spend days working on it. But it would be great fun and give you much knowledge, so I say again... I love a good script!

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2019 Apr 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all for your feedback. I agree that sometimes the time spent in creating a script may be not worth it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines