Sharing Conditional Tags Across a Book

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm a newbie to FrameMaker, and I'm learning the 2015 version. I've just been learning about using conditional text, but all the information so far has been about individual documents, not about whole books. So I'm wondering:

1. Is there a way to globally create a condition tag that can be used in all the documents in a book?

2. If the answer to 1 is No, then is there a way to manually copy the condition tags from one document to another?

3. Is it possible to change the Show/Hide Conditional Text settings globally for all the documents in a book?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Joseph

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can batch import a variety of formats using the Book menu, including Conditional Test Settings (File > Import > Formats). You can set CCs for the whole book at once via View > Show/Hide Conditional Text.

It's common for people to make one book component file the defining instance for various things, and then update the other files as needed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
joseph_f_morales AUTHOR LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bob Niland! That answer helped me out. After experimenting with your directions in FrameMaker 2015, I wrote out the steps in slightly more detail:

1. Open a document containing the conditional tags that you want.
  2. Open the .book file for the book that you want to add the tags to.
  3. In the book window, select the book file and all the documents nested under it.
  4. Go to File / Import / Formats. Enable the Conditional Text Settings option, and disable any other options that you don't need. Click Import.
  5. For each file, a Cannot Be Undone warning is displayed. Click OK on each or enable the Do Not Show Again option and click OK once.
  6. With just the book selected, open the Show/Hide Conditional Text panel. The imported condition tags appear in the Show list or the Hide list.
  7. Open any of the documents in the book and open the Conditional Tags pod (View / Pods / Conditional Tags). The imported tags appear in the Conditional Tags pod.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines