Highlighted

Side-Heads

Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to FrameMaker and wanted how best to keep a graphic element in a side-head together with text in the body (eg. creating a warning graphic/note).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Side-Heads

Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to FrameMaker and wanted how best to keep a graphic element in a side-head together with text in the body (eg. creating a warning graphic/note).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 08, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main way to do that is to leave Page Layout » Room for Side Heads in Column Layout (which is a document-wide setting), then set the Paragraph Designer » Pagination properties as desired for elements to be in SH or not.

There are other ways to mimic it, but which to use would depend on output workflow, esp. to HTML.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2019 0
May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Patricia:

Showing us your specific layout is helpful, but generally speaking I'd say you have two avenues:

1.) Anchor in a side-head paragraph

• Add a new ¶ by pressing Enter above the paragraph you want the image to travel with, and import the image. It will anchor below the current line.

Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 6.50.25 AM.png

• Select the frame and shrinkwrap—tap Esc m p sequentially (one character at a time, not all the same time). This tightens the frame to fit the graphic and anchors at insertion point.

Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 6.50.34 AM.png

• Assign a paragraph tag with a side head attribute to the ¶.

Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 6.50.56 AM.png

• To adjust the vertical position, select the frame, hold the Alt key and tap the up/down arrow keys. You can set the left/right alignment via the paragraph style. My example is aligned left. Set the Keep properties for the style to Keep with Next 2 lines.

Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 6.51.14 AM.png

2.) Anchor outside column

• Anchor the frame in the existing paragraph (don't press Enter).

Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 6.51.31 AM.png

• Select the frame and shrinkwrap—tap Esc m p sequentially (one character at a time, not all the same time). This tightens the frame to fit the graphic and anchors at insertion point.

Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 6.52.17 AM.png

• Select the frame and change the anchoring position to Outside Column, and select your Side. I chose Left. Use Alt+arrow to fine-tune position or type in values for Distance above Baseline and Distance from Text Column. They will travel together automatically.

Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 6.52.59 AM.png

Either way will work. Pick the one that you think is easiest. Then you can save the frame settings as objects as an object style to streamline your workflow moving forward.

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I will give your suggestions a try and let you know how it works out.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2019 1
May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds good, Patricia. I'll be curious to hear which option you select. I'd probably go with the second one, but either one should be good for your FrameMaker layout and PDF export.

I just realized I mentioned Object Styles but didn't provide any reference. Here is an how-to blog post that I wrote up for a past Advanced FrameMaker student that should be helpful, if you decide to implement them.

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-framemaker-object-styles/

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2019 1