Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sidenotes for each paragraph

Participant ,
May 30, 2016 May 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have a question about how to implement HTML-like sidenotes.

Here is my attempt to create a sidenote in FrameMaker (using Side Head-Alignment option). As you can see, the sidenote is colored into olive color:

frame1.PNG

But I want this:

frame2.PNG

In the start of my post I call it "HTML-like sidenotes" because it may be easily made by HTML tables.

May be you ask me, why I want such thing? The answer is:

That's because sometimes every paragraph has it's own sidenote, and so, I want to see a clean visual relationships between each paragraph and it's sidenote, i.e. Paragraph1--Sidenote1, Paragraph2--Sidenote2, Paragraph3--Sidenote3, and so on.

Has anybody succeeded in making this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 30, 2016 May 30, 2016

You can use the same trick described here: Re: A way to label graphics?

Just use "Across All Columns and Side Heads" instead of "Across All Columns" for the paras that would use a right run-in anchored frame to contain a text frame with what would otherwise be sidehead content (i.e. the page layout includes room for side heads, but no paras use Format: Side Head).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2016 May 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the same trick described here: Re: A way to label graphics?

Just use "Across All Columns and Side Heads" instead of "Across All Columns" for the paras that would use a right run-in anchored frame to contain a text frame with what would otherwise be sidehead content (i.e. the page layout includes room for side heads, but no paras use Format: Side Head).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 31, 2016 May 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it really works, so I'm very grateful for help 🙂

That's what I have now. Is it what you mean?

new1.PNG

Sadly, when I try to publish as HTML5, it becomes to this:

new2.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Sadly, when I try to publish as HTML5, it becomes to this:

I was afraid that's what you had in mind. Being on an older FM (with terrible HTML workflow), I'm limited in what I can experiment with.

One hack might be to use Side Heads, and have the Body paras alternate (using Next Pgf Tag) between paragraph formats Body (InColumn), then SideHead, and then say, ClearLeft (AcrossAll&SH), and back to Body.

ClearLeft might be an otherwise empty para, point size 4, Line Spacing 0 (and perhaps Space Above of -4) a text color visible in edit but set to Invisible by Color Views for publication, with an Autonumber format of "----------------" so you can see it, and a pagination of "Across All Columns and Side Heads". It's Next Pgf is Body.

Hit Enter thrice at the end of each SideHead para to start a new Body guaranteed to clear any hanging side head. What this ends up doing in the HTML workflow is left as an exercise for the student.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, thank you very much, I will try 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines