Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart/curly quotes not working - display a question mark instead

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I've been using FM for 18 years at my job.   I use different versions of FM.  This issue is happening on FM9.

I recently noticed that my smart quotes are not working.

When I hit the quotation mark key, a question mark is displayed instead.

I remember this happened once before but I can't remember how I fixed it.

The font I'm using is Helvetica. I've tried changing to Arial and Times New Roman and still get the same results.

If I find an existing smart (curly) quote in the document, I can copy and paste it to the desired location.  But I cannot create a new curly quote.

Please help!

Thanks

Gary

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Take a look at this thread, particularly the entry way down at the bottom:
Quotes and Apostrophes Automatically Convert to Question Marks in Frame 9.0

Diagnosis: It seemed that Framemaker 9.0 randomly, for no reason discernable to me, began inserting question marks in place of apostrophes and double quotes. From the Adobe Character Sets PDF: "If a character glyph is not available for the selected font, Framemaker displays a question mark (?) in its place." Since turning off Smart Quotes resulted in me being able to insert regular quotes without incident, it appears as if Framemaker suddenly stopped recognizing automatic smart quotes.

The Fix: I'm embarassed to say this, but the solution was simply to install a clean maker.ini file. At some point (I have no idea how), it seems my maker.ini file became corrupt. I have no easy means of comparing the corrupt file to the uncorrupted file, so I can't say exactly where the problem exists, but I do know that I've used this fix to resolve the problem on several different machines in my office.

To all Framemaker users, I highly recommend keeping a known good backup of your maker.ini file for just such occassions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines