Jan 26, 2016 Jan 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

solve TIFF grey box problem for referenced files

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

No, just too much of the "regular" Fm forum...

There's not a logical branch point for me to move over, but you can restate your question in the Structured FrameMaker forum instead.

Here's the link

FrameMaker Structured

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Jan 26, 2016 Jan 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this reads more like an instruction than a question …
I see there is another current thread that includes useful information about different flavours of .tiff – might help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2016 Jan 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I'm referring to the error message "Cannot display some imported graphics. The images will appear as gray boxes," specifically regarding a TIFF file that has not been moved or renamed, and which has otherwise displayed and printed as expected since originally importing it into an anchored frame, with a few frustrating exceptions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the file was imported by copy, i.e. embedded, into the document, then the internal structure of the TIF has been corrupted within the FM file [that's why it can't display it and gives you a grey box].

You will have to re-import the TIF file again [one of the disadvantages of embedding a file - FM doesn't know where it came from].

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fwiw, the only way I've managed to force grey boxes to appear is by deleting a referenced graphic:

1. make dummy .tiff

a. import by reference – document displays graphics, object properties Referenced File {path}{name}

b. embed –  document displays graphics, object properties Referenced File No File

2. delete dummy .tiff

a. import by reference – warning at file open; document displays grey box, object properties still displays Referenced File {path}{name}

b. embed –  no change

I've tried corrupting the .tif (opening it with a text editor and randomly deleting content), and then I get a warning image – still no grey box. Tampering with the .tif resource embedded inside the .fm file, as Arnis suggests, delivers a grey box but no FM warning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand this. My Object Properties clearly states a Referenced Path for this graphic. In this case I created an object in a Reference Page on a FrameMaker Template. When I try to access the object from a topic based on the template page, the error appears. I also don't understand the "import by copy", I used the Insert > Image command - how is this "import by copy?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep in mind that you're in a user to user forum.

I'm not sure if it's a corrupted Fm file, corrupted image, or both, but reimporting the image is the fastest way to the other side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. Would I do the re-import on the template side of things? The thing is, the file displays happy as a clam on the template, it's only when trying to reference it from a Topic bases on the Template that I get the error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Templates are more a concept than a feature in FrameMaker. The resources from the template are copied into your Fm file when you use File > Import > File.

However, you mentioned a topic...are you using DITA or saving a file to HTML5?

If that's the case, we might be talking about something else entirely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, DITA. I am trying to create customized banners for the Hazard Statement elements.

These are then displayed when you chose the appropriate type attribute: danger, warning, caution, etc.

The one's out of the box in FrameMaker don't quite work for me, so I wanted to create my own. For the most part it is working, but the image reference is not working. Maybe I'm asking too much of the DITA templates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, just too much of the "regular" Fm forum...

There's not a logical branch point for me to move over, but you can restate your question in the Structured FrameMaker forum instead.

Here's the link

FrameMaker Structured

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What version of FM, by the way?
(if the path is DITA, it can't be terribly old)

In addition to the gray box scenarios already described, if the image is referenced, and is where the path expects it, and is intact (per some external image editor), check that no one has updated it to some version or TIFF extension that FM doesn't support.

For hazard icons, I used to use EPS (to keep them vector), but nowadays I'd be tempted to use SVG. See this old thread for safety color issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines