In unstructured FM 12, I have a book containing 3 chapters and a total of 37 figure cross-references internal to the book. (I also have x-refs to chapters and headings, but they're not the problem.) All of the figure x-refs were done in the same way, using the exact same tag-and-format combination, yet 13 of the 37 links simply do not work in the PDF file.
The bad links are in two of the three chapters, but not all links within either of those chapters are bad. The bad links are spread across 12 different pages. At least two pages contain both bad and good links.
The bad links don't show up as unresolved x-refs; they simply do not link. No error messages appear. I've tried re-doing those links--some of them multiple times--but that did not help. Also rebuilt the PDF file several times. That also did not help.
Anyone suggestions for fixing the problem?
How long is the total length of the path & filename of the xref? – I’ve run into that when creating WebHelp from FM source content – there’s an invisible 35 or so character limit that can kill off the hyperlinking. Once I shortened up the total path length, the xrefs started resolving properly.
Thanks for your reply, but I don’t think that answers it. These are x-refs internal to the FM source document, so no path and filename (if I’m understanding your answer correctly), only a string of building blocks in the x-ref dialog box:
The exact same blocks were used in all 37 x-refs, but only 13 of them don’t work.
Does that help?
Did you enable the option to have all paragraphs available as destinations in your PDF setup (last tab)?
Do all of the x-ref links work in FM (hold down the control key when you mouse over the x-ref; the pointer should change into a pointing finger when there is an active link)?
Hmm, I just looked at that tab for the first time. In my version, it actually says “Create Named Destination for All Paragraphs” rather than to have all paragraphs available as destinations.
It says to use that if I will add links to my document from other documents after the PDF file is created. I don’t have links to other documents in mine, nor any plans to add them, either before or after creating the PDF file. It also says not to use this setting if I always regenerate PDF files after adding new links, which I always do (and my links are always internal, within the book).
So, I don’t think that’s it. Thank you, though, for taking the time to reply!
All 37 of the figure x-refs have the same flow, and all share the same set of three or four paragraph tags. I’m at a loss to see what difference is causing this, unless it’s some kind of known PDF bug…
Did you try it? FM tries to automaticlly optimize the destinations list and doesn't always get it correct (long standing "feature"). This forces FM to have all destinations available when creating the PDF.
I did not try the suggested PDF setting after reading what the PDF Link dialog box said. I was off trying some other things, and did not realize that I had not read the second part of your first response until just now. That was the part about checking to see whether all of the links worked in FM by holding down the control key while mousing over the x-ref. If I had read that part before rushing off to the PDF settings, that suggestion would have been a great clue.
Although I had previously tried removing, re-inserting, and updating the broken x-refs in the Cross-Reference panel, I had not actually tried re-doing the entire Figure title lines (including the marker symbols). As it turns out, that’s how I ended up fixing the problem. Doh! I didn’t realize I had been trying to fix the result, rather than the source, of the problem.