Special Characters not displaying correct

New Here ,
Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recieved a mif file from a translator and the special characters in the Polish language do not show correct.

I have tried all fonts possible (Arial, Arial Unicode, Arial CE)

If I copy text from PDF into FrameMaker the text displays correctly. 

That tells me the problem is not with FrameMaker. (I could be wrong)

 

The translator said he is using memoQ and he has tried SDL Trados 2014.

 

Let me know if you need any other info.

Please help.

Thank you

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

221

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Reply
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this worked before? What version of FM are you using?

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Reply
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have not had any problems with French, Spanish, Greman, Italian, and
Portuguese.
This project is using FM8
But I have opened it up in FM9 and FM11 all with the same issue.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Reply
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shouldn't they be sending you back text in a font you want (and know that it supports the language)? Sounds like something messed up on their end.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Reply
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

 

How does your Polish text look like?

Which text do you copy from a PDF and paste into FrameMaker?

Did you already get translations into Polish before?

Both, memoQ and SDL Trados 2014, support Unicode. Therefore this should be OK.

Which font does your original text use?

 

Best regards

 

Winfried

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Reply
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what is weird about this. All the fonts I've tried and he
suggested support the Polish language.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Reply
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bezpiecze´YÑstwo


I was some missing headers and footers.


It's the first time working with this translator using FrameMaker files.


I know that it should work.


Arial

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Reply
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

 

Admittedly I do not know what could have gone wrong.

Your text sample seems to have the wrong encoding.

Your translator uses Unicode applications, you use Unicode fonts, and FrameMaker 8 is also Unicode enabled. Therefore this should work.

FrameMaker 8 was the first FrameMaker version which supported Unicode.

Can you just open the MIF files which you got from your translator with a text editor? What's in the first line?

And can you do the same with one of the MIF files which you sent to the translation agency?

When this is something with version 7, then this would be the cause.

Which application did the translator use to import your MIF files? memoQ or SDL? Is there any option for the export to define the font encoding?

 

Best regards

 

Winfried

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Reply
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give us some examples of what Polish characters you were expecting to see, and what you got instead.

The top suspect here is that one end or the other is using a legacy overlay font, perhaps Codepage 852 (Latin 2).
Some search results suggest that Arial CE is a mapping of Unicode Arial codepoints into CP 852.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Reply
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
TTS_Brandon AUTHOR LATEST
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bezpiecze†Ñstwo


By the way it does not copy into the email the same way as it is in the FM
file.


I've tried every font that works with Polish that I have.


I've used Arial Unicode and Arial CE


When I copy and paste into the FM files all Polish characters render just
fine.


I'm thinking this is a Trados to mif conversion issue or a Trados setting
that is to blame.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Reply
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more