• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spread (FM10) <-> letter spacing (FM2017)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

In FM10 the spread -10% (and font color Red) was used for hide tekst (Titles) used by HF/R. See picture. The black box is the Title, it stands outside the text frame.

In FM2017 the spread (Letter Spacing) can't handle the -10% as FM10 does. How do I hide the text, align the text outside the text frame?

Or are there better solutions to hide text?

Please help...

TIA. Belinda

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Addition: I use Side Heads, so that is not an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best way to "hide" text, but still make it available for running headers/footers or cross-references is to use FM's Color Views (Views > Color > Color Views or <esc> v c v).

First, create a new colour (make it something bright that will stand out) and give it a name, something like "myInvisible".

Then switch to the colour views. You will see that there up to six different views available. In View 1, select your "myInvisible" colour in the left-side "Normal" column and use the arrows to move it to the right-side "Invisible" column.

Click Set to establish this an invisible colour.

FM_Invisible.png

You can now use this colour in your Paragraph or Character designers to apply to any text that you do not want shown, but still want FM to be able access.

Once you've applied the tag and the text disappears, the fastest way to "see" it again is to switch to a different  colour view. Use <esc> v 2 (or any number up to 6) to toggle to a view where the "myInvisible" colour is not set to Invisible. Make your edits and then toggle back to View 1 using the <esc> v 1 shortcut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do hide it with the colour Red, but this is even better. Thanx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanx for the answers.

I have found the solution for now. I save the file to MIF, look up for the Paragraph tag and set in <Pgffont the <FDX -100%>. Reload in Framemaker and save it as FM-file.

I use Structured Framemaker, can I use conditonal text also with Structured Framemaker?

Greetings Belinda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Or are there better solutions to hide text?

When no re-flow is required when making invisible/visible, use Color Views as Arnis suggested.

Where re-flow is desired/required, use Conditional Text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might also want to consider the H/F Markers for this: Put the "hidden" text into a marker of type "Header/Footer" (here: "Balkons"):

On the master page in the header you use the variable "Running H/F 1" and change the definition to "<$marker1>":

This might be a more robust solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thnx, Stefan! I'll try this.

Is this also possible for a image (pictogram)?

I really want to add pictograms to a header, with the change of a chapter, the pictogram also changes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I thought I had a solution, but it works only for one HF/R. When I have 3 HF/R on the same line, the space is reserved so the text start with an indent. How can I tell FM2017 not to do that?!

First HF/R

Second HF/R (not used in this book but in the dtd required; is empty)

Third HF/R

I use the same values for the paragraph formats.

Line space = 10,678 pt, fixed

Direction: Inherit

Edit in MIF: <FDX -100.0%>

When the text starts, the space (red arrow) is still there.

Or shall I post this as a new issue?!

TIA!

Belinda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines