Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Strange error message from FrameMaker 2017 printing to Adobe PDF Printer

Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm working with FrameMaker 2017 Release (German edition) on Windows 10 Version 1803 and Acrobat DC Pro. When printing to Adobe PDF Printer, FrameMaker shows up with an error message

"The chosen standard printer is not compatible with FrameMaker. (Can not ask for Escape 768.)"

This is my translation of the German error message "Der gewählte Standarddrucker ist nicht kompatibel mit FrameMaker. (Escape 768 kann nicht abgefragt werden.)"

As standard printer Adobe PDF Printer is configured. What could be the cause of that error message? I've already done two "Repair Acrobat DC Pro Installation", which didn't help.

Thanks, Thomas

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Seems to be an error in the new version of Windows 10. Discussion and possible workarounds: Frame 2017 cannot print to PDF or PS or Printer as of April 6, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to be an error in the new version of Windows 10. Discussion and possible workarounds: Frame 2017 cannot print to PDF or PS or Printer as of April 6, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot. This points me in the right direction. Unfortunately I have removed "C:\Windows.old" after updating Windows 10, so rollback is no alternative for me. Hopefully Microsoft solves that problem asap. In the meantime, a workaround for me is to use the printer driver "Microsoft Print to PDF" (Extension to Windows). I know, that this driver is a poor one, but for my needs, it's sufficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same Escape 768 problem, but it just started today.  I have had the 1803 update for several weeks without any problems.  I tried the CMYK fix and it worked for one print job and now I get the error with RGB or CMYK on all print jobs, for pdf's and all physical printers in the office.  I uninstalled TCS  2017 and reinstalled it.  With the new install, the Adobe DC application will not even install.  The installation program does not give me any errors, it just does not install.  With the new install, when I try to print to a physical printer, I get the same error and then the program crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On behalf of Adobe Systems Incorporated:

The problem is a known bug in Microsoft's Windows 10 Version 1803 and has nothing to do with FrameMaker.

Microsoft is aware of the bug as well as the source of the bug and is working to provide a fix in a forthcoming “Patch Tuesday” update.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I contacted Microsoft last night and opened a new support case.  They no nothing about this bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course Microsoft knows about it. Regrettably, that doesn't mean that their first level tech support folks know anything about it. 

Actually they do know about it and are testing a fix with Adobe. Regrettably, although we believe the fix works, Microsoft will not likely release the patch until at least sometime in July.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the "Tuesday" patch yesterday and it did not fix the problem.  I still get the same error when trying to print to pdf or any physical printer.  The Save as pdf using the CMYK option only works on files without graphics.  Any file with a graphic in it will cause FM to crash if you use the CMYK option.  Using the RGB option in the Save As PDF does not produce an error or crash the program, but it does not produce any output either.  Framemaker is now dead in the water, and we are SOL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that you closed out the other thread addressing this topic, telling everyone to chill out and maybe it will be fixed next month.  We can't wait a month to have the program working.  We have 6 reports in progress that are several hundred pages each, representing over a half million in contracts with deadlines that we have to meet.  This is not just a little utility program or game that we can set aside and wait several months for a fix to be issued. 

I am totally amazed at your cavalier attitude to an issue that can cost your users thousands in lost revenue and customer dissatisfaction when deadlines are not met!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are not being cavalier about this at all. At Adobe, we are not at all happy about this and other bugs that have been found in the v1803 update to Windows 10. And we do understand the impact on our users because it also has an impact on our own use of the software (we don't have a secret workaround, believe me!).

We contacted Microsoft immediately after this issue was reported to us and have been working with them and applying appropriate pressure to get a fix ASAP. They have a fix that we have tested and we are awaiting their decision as to when to include that fix in a Patch Tuesday release.

Adobe doesn't have source code to Windows and we can't issue a fix on our side. What do you expect us to do further?

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would generally expect you to fix the problem that causes your program to not run.  If that requires that you change the pdf code generation in FM to match the pdf code that is generated by ALL the other Adobe programs (which work fine with windows), then that's what I would do.

Waiting for the Operating System to change to match your funky code generation is wishful thinking.  People write programs to work under specific operating systems, they don't write programs and then wait for the operating system to change to match their code.  If there is a flaw in the OS, you work around it.  You don't let your program die and your customers languish while they wait for the OS to change to meet your needs.

Your response to this problem should be put on a banner and flown over Adobe headquarters.  "It's Not Our Fault That Our Programs Don't Work, It's Somebody Else's Fault"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am truly sorry that you really don't know what you are talking about here. There is no “funky code generation” in FrameMaker that causes the problem. FrameMaker uses publicly-documented, standard Windows driver calls to produce PostScript (which is subsequently distilled into PDF) and one of those calls was what was broken by Microsoft in their recent release. There is no workaround available other than those presented by Adobe and other users in these threads which involves use of the CMYK option which doesn't go through the driver. As indicated previously in this thread, Microsoft did find their bug, has produced and is now testing their fix, and we hope they can release that patch as soon as possible.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the FrameMaker forum. This discussion has absolutely nothing to do with Acrobat PDF creation.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines