• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

structured FM 2019 – topic titles in tree view

Advisor ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking forward to giving FM another chance handling my DITA files … so I've duplicated a whole set of topics and daringly opened the .bookmap.

The good news is, it opens! but now I'm immediately puzzled by the interface. I was hoping for a toggle between file name / topic title, like the one for an unstructured FM .book. All our topics deliberately use short filenames where only the prefix is intended to be human-readable, precisely because the file always contains the title.

Any hints on how to display title and file-name so I can navigate efficiently?

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Hello. Sorry to interject... Are you wanting to have your document title of "Introduction" display in the tree view of your navigation?

Sometimes I find after building a new ditamap the "friendly" titles don't carry across to the ditamap tree. I suspect when you toggle between the Show NavTitle/Show Filename button nothing changes?

If so, click on the top most ditamap item in the tree on the left, in your screenshot that's "Setting up and....". In your Structure view on the right, you will notice

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you might be looking for this

Thanks

Amitoj Singh

ditamap_shownavtitle.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sort of! but I don't want to display the navtitle, which I have never had to use except for 'empty' topicrefs. Here's a screenshot with structure and text view of a typical topic, plus the navigation panel. The topic has a <title> element, and this does not show up in the navigation panel.

fm19_ditamap.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, what is shown is the navtitle of the topic. The actual title is seen in the structure view.

Thanks

Amitoj Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really much help, then! According to the 1.3 spec – which is as far as I've got – <navtitle> is  one of a set of alternate titles that can be included inside the <titlealts> element […] when the actual title of the topic isn't appropriate for use in a table of contents, navigation pane, or online content (for example, because the actual title is too long).
https://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.2/os/spec/langref/navtitle.html

It's not the 'normal' title for a topic. And being able to see the <title> in the structure view for an individual topic is not much help when I'm trying to work with a map.

mapViews.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair point, we can try and get tihs added in the upcoming release/ or an update of the same. Have added a story to show the title in case Navtitle is missing in ditamaps manager/resource manager view. I think if you open it in document view, it would show the correct information.

Thanks

Amitoj Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's encouraging! thanks.

I've tried document view, though, and it doesn't help :-{ still no <title> elements visible.

map in 'document view' – <title> element not shownmap in 'document view' – <title> element not shown

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. Sorry to interject... Are you wanting to have your document title of "Introduction" display in the tree view of your navigation?

Sometimes I find after building a new ditamap the "friendly" titles don't carry across to the ditamap tree. I suspect when you toggle between the Show NavTitle/Show Filename button nothing changes?

If so, click on the top most ditamap item in the tree on the left, in your screenshot that's "Setting up and....". In your Structure view on the right, you will notice the whole map* is highlighted. Leave it highlighted and right click and select "Update References". Once you get the dialog box, it should be defaulted to Update Topicrefs in File and All. Click OK. After this, you should then see the document title in the tree view.

Also, if you click on the file in the tree view - so click "ctp_29mj90..." and llok at the structure view change - it should show that your navtitle of that file is "Introduction".

I hope this helps.

Erin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for taking the time to explain these steps, Erin … The structure view now shows an 'injected' <fm-topicreflabel> element, but the tree view now shows a list of titles. No idea whether this is 'my' content or FM's contribution; but either way, it makes the tree view a lot more usable. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am glad that worked @FieryPantone. I usually need to do this after adding a new file to the map. You can do the same process with a single file in your ditamap. Click the file, look to the structure view - only that file section will be higlighted and select the update references.

Personally I think it's a small bug that this doesn't happen automatically when adding/saving new topicrefs to a ditamap.

Erin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines