• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Structured FrameMaker 2019. Book Page Numbering update <$Sectionnum> gets stripped out

Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Structured FM file uses Chapter and Section variables to create page numbering e.g 00-01-1, where 00 is the chapter variable, 01 is the section variable and the 1 is the page number. These have been set in a file master pages using Format > Document > Numbering.

When a book is created, that file is used to import the Element Definitions for the structure of the book. No problems so far.

When the file is added to the book and the book is updated the "sectionnum" variable gets stripped out leaving the numbering of the file as "00--1".

When selecting the file in the book and using Format > Document > Numbering to correct the numbering error, only the Chapter variable and Page are editable. The section and subsection edit area are grayed out?

What is the fix please? What should be set that would appear that has not been set

Thank you

Bob 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Section and Subsection variables are only available if the book component is in a folder or group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your reply. After my post, I had a 'light-bulb' moment and it finally dawned on me that structure was the only way it would work

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines