• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Styles templates inheritance - hierarchical paragraph styles (unstructured FM - Paragraph Designer)

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi community,

I´m quite new to FM and so searching some beloved word features...

I like to make styles based on other styles so that maintenance is easier - updates need less time.
- In MS Word you have the possibility to set-up style templates hierarchical via the "based on" setting in the "designer" (German Formatvorlage basiert auf).
When doing it clever, its quite effortless changing e.g. your base font type (if CD has to change)

How do I manage that in FM, I have not found a similar option (my version is 2019)
If this is not possible, wht?s the best practice? Any advice?

2020-11-18 18_45_59-Document1.docx - Word.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, FrameMaker doesn't have the based on style feature that we rely on when designing styles in Word and InDesign. 

As a best practice, design carefully, and be ready to edit multiple styles when necessary. I try to use as few styles as possible in FrameMaker that will get the job done. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Depending on what you need to update, it is possible to use Global Update for paragraph and character tags. The below is from Klaus Daube's Compendium, a very useful resource for those little tricks that make FM so powerful (first link on this page: https://www.daube.ch/docu/fmaker00.html).

This example details how to update the language on the Font tab for the Paragraph Tag Designer, but you can use it to update pretty much any property for either the Paragraph or the Character Tags.

Warning: Perform this procedure in a blank file that has your current tags.

1. Open the paragraph designer (menu Format > Paragraphs > Designer or CTRL+M)
  2. Open the appropriate tab (e.g., Font)
  3. In the Commands drop down list select Set Window to As Is or type SHIFT+F8.
  4. In the Language field set the desired language (e.g. Schweizerdeutsch)
  5. In the Commands drop down list select Global Update Options…
  6. Set the radio buttons Default Font Properties only (the name of the current category) and All Paragraphs and Catalogue
    Entries.
  7. Click Update.

Once you've confirmed that everything is working the way you want it to, open the production file and use File > Import > Formats to import the formats from the updated document (which must also be open) into the production document.

If you have multiple files in a book, you can select them in the book file and then import to all of them at once instead of individually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines